New Background Check procedures and the application forms

8 replies to this topic

#1 ofina

ofina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 05:38 PM

I have a question about the new online background check system through JDP and the forms.

The online process through JDP has the exact same information to be entered as the pdf forms.  Do our volunteers still need to complete the forms?

Some of our volunteers are getting irritated and confused at seemingly doing the same thing twice.

#2 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 27 April 2018 - 05:52 PM

No - volunteers do not need to do the PDF form.
Just the online form.
https://www.littlele...ogram/jdp-faqs/ mentions this.

#3 ofina

ofina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 06:52 PM

Thanks.
What is JDP's "manual process"?
I wonder if that is what we are doing then.

#4 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,052 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 27 April 2018 - 06:55 PM

Hate to ask but where are you that you haven't done your Background Checks yet?
Did you do your BOD?

#5 ofina

ofina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 07:08 PM

Well, I'm in Northern Illinois where games for some divisions are just starting this week.
But I never said that we haven't done our background checks.
But we have been asking for the forms to be filled out too and I'm wondering if we still need to do that.
People have been asking about it and have been confused.

That having been said, since games are just starting for some divisions and not even started yet for most of the divisions, assistant coaches and team parents are still trickling in, so it is also a current-issue question.

Yes, our BOD was done a while ago.

#6 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 27 April 2018 - 07:25 PM

Thanks.
What is JDP's "manual process"?
I wonder if that is what we are doing then.

I went through the JDP demo flow (our league isn't using them this season) and they have a 'one-at-a-time' web submission process like the old cut-and-paste method which is (I think) their 'manual process'.
They have a batch process which is their 'quick-app' process.
The 'quick-app' process just requires the league to submit names and emails to JDP, who then asks the volunteer directly for their additional information. It seems reasonable to me.

#7 ofina

ofina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 07:30 PM

In case you couldn't tell, I'm not the one who has been processing these, but I will be taking it on next year.

Okay, I think we have been using the quick-app process, but doing it one at a time when they come in.

I was told that we still needed the paper form filled in with at least their name and signature, which constitutes "permission" for us to start the background check process.
hmmm....

#8 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 27 April 2018 - 08:07 PM

In case you couldn't tell, I'm not the one who has been processing these, but I will taking it on next year.

Okay, I think we have been using the quick-app process, but doing it one at a time when they come in. 

I was told that we still needed the paper form filled in with at least their name and signature, which constitutes "permission" for us to start the background check process.

hmmm....

I recommend contacting JDP directly if you have questions. 

We are using another vendor this year (and probably next year too) but the process is similar in that the user has to provide permission to allow the background check to proceed.  This happens within the vendor web flow (electronic signature) and does not require our league to obtain permission.   Our vendor requires upload of a photo of government issued photo ID.

The big 'win' (and its made life a lot easier for me to run the process) is that I use the same boilerplate email for every volunteer and I never have to manage their confidential information.    It's still somewhat of a pain but way better than asking every volunteer to hand me a paper form and then re-entering all of the information.

Little League retains the following requirement:  according to https://www.littlele...ck-information/

Leagues must still verify the volunteer’s application with a government-issued photo ID.

#9 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 11:45 PM

We have been using the batch processing.  We gather the info through an online volunteer form filled out when they register their child, and the submitted it as a batch file to JDP. (There is another step in there where the private info has to be sent via secured server.)

The the coaches has to prove who they are before they get their photo IDs.  

The question I have is how is the response rate for coaches having to respond to another form from JDP? I look at my league bulk emails, and not everyone reads them, so I wonder if it is an issue getting people to fill out the JDP forms.

Oh, and though we started a couple weeks ago, except Seniors, we still have new coaches trickling in.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users