11 replies to this topic

#1 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:06 AM

I thought I saw this somewhere, but can't find it.

Do the rules directly  address what happens when a batter can't continue in a CBO?

Either, in the middle of an at bat, or say HPB and is injured and needs to be replaced on base.

Looking for what defines who takes over for the injured player.

Or is this interpreted from other rules.

#2 Jmlugo8511

Jmlugo8511

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:23 AM

I attended a Rules Clinic at Western Region and asked this specific question.
The answer:
It is not in the rule book, however, in a CBO, when a batter or runner gets hurt and cannot continue, the last offensive player to make an out will replace him for the at-bat or on the bases.
If the hurt player cannot cannot continue, then the player is skipped in the batting order when his turn comes up with no out being charged.
  • amutz and rsnyder6 like this

#3 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:30 AM

I attended a Rules Clinic at Western Region and asked this specific question. The answer:
It is not in the rule book, however, in a CBO, when a batter or runner gets hurt and cannot continue, the last last offensive player to make an out will replace him for the at-bat or on the bases. If the hurt player cannot cannot continue, then the player is skipped in the batting order when his turn comes up with no out being charged.

Thanks. Some leagues apparently play where the following batter takes over the at bat, last batted out if the batter reaches  base.

I just had a question from a coach new to our league, and in giving rule clarifications, I often  like to refer to the rule book.

• Jmlugo8511 likes this

#4 Robin Barradio

Robin Barradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:41 AM

LL used to have an interpretation for this very situation on its old website.
I'll see if I can find it archived somewhere.

#5 Jamief

Jamief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:53 AM

Found it in an old RIM. Took a screen shot.

Hope this attachment works.

Attached Thumbnails

• EE1D18FD-D42F-45A3-8E68-66F492700E81.jpeg

#6 Robin Barradio

Robin Barradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:31 AM

Here's the text from the 2013 RIM with regards to 4.04. The first part covers how to replace the batter and is contrary to what WR said. I always remembered that the next player in the batting order assumed the count, and the RIM supports that. I would go with the RIM, and not what someone said at WR. That's another problem with not having a national UIC. Regions are formulating their own interpretations that are not coordinated with other regions, nor are they distributed to all members of LL.

INSTRUCTOR COMMENTS: League uses the continuous batting order and a player gets hurt while at-bat. What do we do now? Answer: The next batter in the order takes his/her place and assumes the count and the game continues. If that injured player is unable to continue in the game the next time he/she is scheduled to bat merely skip over him/ her and continue the game.

2. League is using the CBO and a player is at bat, hits the ball and is hurt while running the bases. Who takes his place on the base? It is recommended that the last out of the previous inning is the player who is substituted to run for the injured player. Or you can even use the last out of that offensive inning. What you need to watch out for is getting in a situation where the offensive team needs a run and all of a sudden they need a runner and “they” select the team’s fastest runner. Make it clean and in writing so there will never be any questions.

3. League is using the CBO at the Junior/Senior/Big League level and wants to take its pitcher off the mound put him/her in the dugout for a rest and bring him/her back later because he/she is still in the line up. Can they do that? No, not really. While admittedly the player is still in the batting order, however, when they took the pitcher off the mound and moved him/her to the dugout they lost their chance to bring the pitcher back. The rule was written to keep the pitcher in the lineup both offensively and defensively.

[MINOR Baseball & Softball: A local league may adopt a format using the complete roster as the batting order. The side may be retired if three (3) outs occur or when a team bats through their roster or when the offensive team scores five (5) runs.]

• rsnyder6 likes this

#7 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:40 AM

Thanks folks, maybe this is where I saw it.

Very helpful.

#8 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:11 AM

Trouble with taking over mid-AB is that it doesn't then count as an AB for MPR purposes.

• rsnyder6 likes this

#9 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,001 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:02 PM

Just for the heck of it I sent the following two questions to Williamsport:
In CBO, batter has 1-1 count and fouls a ball off his foot and cannot continue to bat, who replaces the injured batter?
In CBO, runner slides into second and injures his ankle and cannot continue, who replaces the injured runner.

The answer to both questions was the injured batter/runner is replaced by the player who made the last out.

Point is, the rulebook doesn't say what to do so to alleviate any questions/problems put what you do in your Local Rules.

======
By the way, using the player that made the last out resolves the issue of it not being an at-bat if you put up the next batter.
That said, if you use the player who made the last out you need to cover the unlikely instance of it happening in the first inning with no outs!
In such a case, I recommend putting in the last player in the batting order.
  • rsnyder6 and Plesh like this

#10 Jmlugo8511

Jmlugo8511

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:05 PM

Will do Lou.
As you stated, if a League has it in writing, then it can always be referred to when it happens.

#11 SeattleSooner

SeattleSooner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:19 PM

Wow!
What timing!
This specific incident - CBO and batter injured during at bat - happened in my league yesterday.
The umps handled it by bringing the last out to finish the at bat.
Thanks!
  • Plesh likes this

#12 Jmlugo8511

Jmlugo8511

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 04:03 PM

SeattleSooner,
Good thing we all now know how Williamsport answered the question.
It's good for all of us to be on the same page and on HQs recent changes to situations.
  • SeattleSooner likes this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users