richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:05 PM

Again, what is your point or argument?

I have many years of experience as a manager, coach, President, BOD member, in addition to spending 16 years and counting as an umpire. I've umpired hundreds of LL games (all levels) at the local, district, section, sub-division, division, and regional level. I've also worked a number of years as a volunteer at WR.
I also umpire at the travel-ball, HS, and College summer ball levels. I've seen many All Star teams, worked many All Star games. The fact if the matter is that the caliber of All Stars in LL has diminished greatly.
Getting rid of MPR in All Stars (and other cumbersome regulations) would help re-attract quality players and coaches, and bolster the competitiveness. IMHO.

What would be some of your ideas to increase enrollment and competitiveness in LL?

Getting rid of MPR would cause kids to not want to be on the team and/or parents not letting them be on the team. Been there. Not pleasant.

It's about winning, but not to the point of exclusion.

And don't forget that the other team is under the same rules. You aren't losing advantage by having to play your subs because they have the same constraints.

• amutz likes this

#22 Jamief

Jamief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:19 AM

The 13 player (1 AB) rule should go away and not make 12 players mandatory. Yes I know most DAs sign off on 11 player rosters but I think you’d see a majority of 11 player rosters.

The roster rules are there to get more players on all star teams but to Robins point are the extra players truly all stars if they never see the field and only get 1AB.

Allowing rosters of 11 would make teams stronger and eliminate the 1AB rule and make subbing sooooo much easier.

I think many managers believe 11 <<<13 <<12.
Today If you have to take 12 you may as well take that bubble kid to 13 and drop MPR to 1 AB.

One other thing?
Why does it have to be consecutive outs?
It’s not that way during the regular season?
That would eliminate a some MPR issues too.
Stay with 6/1 but the outs don’t have to be consecutive.

#23 Robin Barradio

Robin Barradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:47 AM

The 13 player (1 AB) rule should go away and not make 12 players mandatory. Yes i know most DAs sign off on 11 player rosters but I think you’d see a majority of 11 player rosters.

The roster rules are there to get more players on all star teams but to Robins point are the extra players truely all stars if they never see the field and only get 1AB.

Allowing rosters of 11 would make teams stronger and eliminate the 1AB rule and make subbing sooooo much easier.

I think many managers believe 11 <<<13 <<12.
Today If you have to take 12 May as well take that bubble kid to 13 and drop MPR to 1 AB.

One other thing? Why does it have to be consecutive outs? It’s not that way during the regular season? That would eliminate a some MPR issues too. Stay with 6 / 1 but they don’t have to be consecutive.

Exactly, if you have to take 12, just take 13 and you can get your better players back in the game sooner.

At some point, LL needs to give AS managers more leeway in deciding how to play their kids.

#24 Robin Barradio

Robin Barradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:59 AM

Getting rid of MPR would cause kids to not want to be on the team and/or parents not letting them be on the team. Been there. Not pleasant.

It's about winning, but not to the point of exclusion.

And don't forget that the other team is under the same rules. You aren't losing advantage by having to play your subs because they have the same constraints.

No mandatory play doesn't seem to be hurting travel-ball and the vast number of tournaments that are played that way.
It's no secret that the better kids, at least in our area, are flocking to travel-ball.
I'm not sure if other organizations, (Pony, Cal Ripken, ASA, etc.) have MPR in All Stars.
It would be interesting to know.

To be sure, smart coaches play their kids no matter what, and travel-ball teams better play their kids as well, or risk losing players.
But the whole LL MPR requirements in All Stars is not the answer to declining participation.
It's another band-aid fix to a perceived problem.

The constraints are only the same if each team has the same number of players.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users