Photo

What’s the reason behind managers/coaches not allowed to wear baseball uniforms?

6 replies to this topic

#1 SeattleSooner

SeattleSooner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 01:25 PM

Start of a new season and my league has a manager and coaches in the minors division wearing full baseball uniforms. No matter how many times we put it out, there’s always one that didn’t understand.

Just curious...what’s the reason behind the rule? I know it applies in LL at majors and below but why is there a need to prohibit managers and coaches at those levels from wearing baseball uniforms?

#2 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 02 April 2018 - 03:09 PM

Start of a new season and my league has a manager and coaches in the minors division wearing full baseball uniforms. No matter how many times we put it out, there’s always one that didn’t understand.

Just curious...what’s the reason behind the rule? I know it applies in LL at majors and below but why is there a need to prohibit managers and coaches at those levels from wearing baseball uniforms?

It's the kid's game.

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:24 PM

Because you look like a try-hard "jerk" who's trying to play.

=============
Edited to "clean-up" the original language.

#4 OutdoorDad

OutdoorDad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 07:46 PM

Me, I’d go with this...
“It’s a safety issue. In the heat of the game, a coach in a uniform can be mistaken for a team mate and be the target of a hard throw they aren’t prepared for”.
Then I’d hold up my left index finger that doesn’t work right anymore, and say “You don’t want a kid to live knowing they’ve permanently injured a coach” as I walk away.

But yeah, those who want to wear the matching uniform are usually the ones in the “super competitive” camp as well.
  • rsnyder6 likes this

#5 Hendo37

Hendo37

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:55 PM

Since, it's only a rule that applies to majors and below, there is less chance of a coach being mistaken for a player.  I think that it has more to do with making sure leagues don't require it, at that level.  There would be a lot fewer parents volunteering to help out, if they were expected to pay for and wear a uniforms.  In our area, most teams have extra coaches on the roster so that when one is working, another can fill in, would be crazy to have to be in "uniform" 2 or 3 times a season.  Our league requires coaches and managers wear a team shirt and hat to help identify them.    

#6 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:29 PM

Since, it's only a rule that applies to majors and below, there is less chance of a coach being mistaken for a player.  I think that it has more to do with making sure leagues don't require it, at that level.  There would be a lot fewer parents volunteering to help out, if they were expected to pay for and wear a uniforms.  In our area, most teams have extra coaches on the roster so that when one is working, another can fill in, would be crazy to have to be in "uniform" 2 or 3 times a season.  Our league requires coaches and managers wear a team shirt and hat to help identify them.    

It's the kids game. On the small diamond.  Heck, my Legion coach wore street clothes.

#7 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:31 PM

Coaches in uniform (and I too have been guilty) are even more prone to forget that it's purely the kids game.
Street clothes is a good 'signal' that its not about them.
  • rsnyder6 likes this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users