No Umpire Rule

11 replies to this topic

#1 vetteLT193

vetteLT193

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 04:31 PM

I'm trying to find info on what is the expected action to take if no Umpire is available for a game.
My local league pays $50 per game but even that isn't enough to get Umpires for every game.
They have the Managers calling balls/strikes from behind the pitcher.
This is:
a ) a distraction and
b ) they call balls and strikes differently
.... and of course, the competitive managers will be super liberal with their team which pretty much ensures a win.

This is frustrating pretty much everyone from the coaches to the kids to the parents.

#2 Robin Barradio

Robin Barradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 04:51 PM

Are you paying an Association to staff your games?
If so, time to find another association.
Is your league just paying anybody the $50.00?
I'm not sure what is going on.

What level is this?
If there are no umpires, most of the time coaches will call it from behind the mound or you can pull a parent from the stands.
That seems to be SOP for most leagues.

You mentioned "competitive managers," as well.
Sounds like your league's BOD has some issues.
If the UIC can't staff games, maybe time to find another UIC.
If you're not on the board, attend the next board meeting and ask some questions.
Maybe it's time for you to get more involved in running your league.

#3 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,024 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:09 PM

Obviously you need an Umpire to play the game.
If there is only 1 umpire, LL rules say he/she is allowed to umpire from behind the mound although umpiring from behind the plate is preferred (provided you have the required protective equipment).

In my opinion, having managers (or coaches) umpiring their own games is often a problem waiting to happen (as is evidenced by your situation).

Some leagues assign managers/coaches to umpire in other divisions.
So, for example, minor managers/coaches umpire major games and major managers/coaches umpire minor games.
It puts an extra burden on the managers/coaches but sometimes you do what you have to do.

As Robin said, some leagues pull people out of the stands to umpire. I'm not a fan of doing that because you get the same complaint - the ump is biased towards one of the teams.
But, as I said, sometimes you do what you have to do.

We work extremely hard to develop and maintain a Volunteer Umpire Staff. One reason is so we don't have to pay for umpires and that helps keep our costs/fees down.

===========
Hate to say it but maybe if the complaints get bad enough in your league some of the parents might step forward and volunteer to ump a few games!
  • Hendo37 likes this

#4 vetteLT193

vetteLT193

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:31 PM

Are you paying an Association to staff your games? If so, time to find another association.
Is your league just paying anybody the $50.00? I'm not sure what is going on.

What level is this? If there are no umpires, most of the time coaches will call it from behind the mound. Or you can pull a parent from the stands. That seems to be SOP for most leagues.

You mentioned "competitive managers," as well. Sounds like your league's BOD has some issues. If the UIC can't staff games, maybe time to find another UIC. If you're not on the board, attend the next board meeting and ask some questions. Maybe it's time for you to get more involved in running your league.

I don't think they pay an 'association' to staff the games.
They ask for volunteers and when they get someone new they train them over a few games before letting them ump a game themselves.

Obviously you need an Umpire to play the game.
If there is only 1 umpire, LL rules say he/she is allowed to umpire from behind the mound although umpiring from behind the plate is preferred.

In my opinion, having managers (or coaches) umpiring their own games is often a problem waiting to happen (as is evidenced by your situation).

Some leagues assign managers/coaches to umpire in other divisions.
So, for example, minor managers/coaches umpire major games and major managers/coaches umpire minor games.
It puts an extra burden on the managers/coaches but sometimes you do what you have to do.

As Robin said, some leagues pull people out of the stands to umpire. I'm not a fan of doing that because you get the same complaint - the ump is biased towards one of the teams.
But, as I said, sometimes you do what you have to do.

We work extremely hard to develop and maintain a Volunteer Umpire Staff. One reason is so we don't have to pay for umpires and that helps keep our costs/fees down.

===========
Hate to say it but maybe if the complaints get bad enough in your league some of the parents might step forward and volunteer to ump a few games!

I read the Little League rules and it's clear that they aren't following them in a few areas.
I agree with maybe if it gets bad enough more people will volunteer.
It's always a struggle to find people to step up but everyone has an opinion it seems.

#5 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:12 PM

How big is your league/how many teams?
Do you normally only have one umpire doing your games?
Do you happen to know how many umpires your league actually has?

It's very rare when we don't have two (or more) umpires for a game.

#6 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:02 PM

- Our league has about 60 teams and our 'umpired divisions' have about 30 teams.  

- We use 2 umpires for our Sr Minor division and our Major division, and 1 umpire for our 'Jr minors' division.

- We have a lot of umpires (60-ish) but practically speaking a smaller number consistently signing up / available.

This Spring we've had more trouble putting 2 umps on each game with all our March rainouts/reschedules.

Part of the challenge is among our older teen umps who had a lot of school and sports conflicts in March too.

#7 Robin Barradio

Robin Barradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:04 PM

Every league is different. Some have a lot of commited volunteers, while others struggle to fill the various positions leagues need to run effectively. However, if you are going to have a volunteer umpire program, you must have a dedicated UIC willing to put in the time and effort to recruit, train, and retain umpires. You also must have a committed BOD that backs up umpires, fosters a well behaved culture, and doesn't put up with overzealous managers and coaches. Without any of that, you might as well go to paid umpires from an association.

Sometimes pulling someone out of the stands, or having coaches call the game, is your only alternative. If people get fed up enough, maybe they will get involved. But on the other hand, sometimes they just leave to play somewhere or something else. You have to decide what needs to be done in your league, and get others to be involved, too. It's a lot of work, but that's what it takes to run a league. Most people don't understand LL for what it is. Nor do they understand how much work and effort it takes to run one.

Unfortunately, I see more and more leagues going to paid umpires in our area and in So Cal in general. Even Western Region only does one session of week-long umpire school. Up until a few years ago, they used to do two week-long sessions. There are fewer and fewer people wanting to umpire LL as a volunteer for a number of reasons.

#8 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:13 PM

We pay our LL graduated teens to umpire.
It's been a good way for us to engage these older kids and keep them close to LL.
Some adults volunteer too, but mostly its the kids.
  • JLo likes this

#9 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 12:04 AM

I never really paid attention to the rule because we had paid umpires.  Our league always had one umpire per game for AAA and Majors.  Sometimes I wish we had 2 but ehhh, it's a game.  There was never anything that would become WWIII.

My league used volunteer umpires (managers and Coaches) for the AA games.  This got the AA teams used to umpires, and got the coaches and Managers some practice.  This is when I started.  I actually bought gear to wear behind the plate.  When I arrived the AA teams knew me as a Manager, but they were also happy that I would be behind the plate.

I did have one AAA game when no umpire showed up and I was the Manager.  Just before the game started I was informed the league had no umpire, no parent wanted to umpire, and the Board member on duty and the Manager on Duty refused to umpire the game. To be honest I am sure they could not have done it anyway.  My opponent asked ME to umpire the game (with my own team)!

I went to my car and changed.  When I arrived back we started the game with a plate meeting. I made it 2 1/2 innings.  An umpire then showed up.  I turned it over to him.  I went to get my stuff from the dugout and he asked me what I was doing.  I told him I was the Manager of one of the teams but I was going for a hotdog and soda.  I didn't think it would be right for me to go into Manager mode.  It was actually a fun day.  Only game I was able to sit and enjoy watching my own team play while having a snack.  On the game report I was listed as a good fair umpire, and they hoped I would return.

I wish they would encourage the players to be umpires but I could never get the league to do that.

#10 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:37 AM

Most (if not all) of the leagues around here have Junior Umpire Programs.
The high school kids need volunteer hours as part of the State of Florida Scholarship Program.
So we get a lot of umpires and concession stand workers as a result.
A number of them continue to umpire year after year.

#11 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:26 AM

Most (if not all) of the leagues around here have Junior Umpire Programs.
The high school kids need volunteer hours as part of the State of Florida Scholarship Program.
So we get a lot of umpires and concession stand workers as a result.
A number of them continue to umpire year after year.

Unfortunately the NHS, which accounts for most of the high school volunteer hours around here, no longer allows kids to get hours for umpiring if they also play in the league (Juniors or Seniors).

#12 JLo

JLo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:08 PM

We pay our LL graduated teens to umpire.
It's been a good way for us to engage these older kids and keep them close to LL.
Some adults volunteer too, but mostly its the kids.

My son is a teen umpire.  The key is to help them develop an appropriate strike zone that is suitable to youth pitchers, otherwise, you'll end up with a game of walks, which is also frustrating.  I thought this was a good video explaining that:    Youth that need community service hours is key, otherwise, money still motivates.  My son is doing it for the hours.   At the same time, it's still important to have a Game Coordinator because some parents don't care that it's a teenager that is umping and still heckle!  My son really enjoys it.  We struggle with Umpires too because there is a shortage while the high schools have their baseball season.  

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users