LL Patch

15 replies to this topic

#1 JasonM24

JasonM24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:08 PM

I know there is a rule in place regarding the wearing of the LL patch on team uniforms.
How enforced is this rule for regular season play, and what can happen IF a league does not wear them during regular season games?

#2 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:07 PM

Obviously, if the players don't wear the patches they won't play as well as if they did !!! :)

Lots of leagues don't buy/use patches during the Regular Season.
Yes, it is a rule/regulation but it really isn't strictly enforced.
In fact, if you go to the LL Website and look at the pictures of the players most of them don't have patches on!

Patches are required for The Tournament.

#3 JasonM24

JasonM24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:34 PM

Thank you Lou!
I appreciate the quick response.

#4 Robin Barradio

Robin Barradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 03:42 PM

I hope that someone in your league isn't making a big fuss over patches.
What Lou said is correct. Many leagues in my area only provide patches for their tournament teams.

It's too bad LL is still fixated on patch technology from the 1950's.
Sure would be nice if LL charged each league a reasonable fee and let leagues silk screen the logo on. It would make things a lot easier, and I bet more leagues would be compliant.
  • Plesh likes this

#5 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:11 PM

I don't think I know of any leagues in the district that put the patches on for the season.

One problem is to really keep them on, they need to be sewed, the iron on just doesn't stay real well for everyone.

#6 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:20 PM

10+ years ago when we still re-used the uniforms they had patches on them (sewn on, iron on never holds).
Once we switched to t-shirts that we let the kids keep real patches never made a comeback for regular season play.
I think we had them screen printed on a few years, but that's over with.

#7 RB56

RB56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 02:45 PM

Maybe due to the sheer size of our leagues (over 1500 players last year), LLI has required the "official patch" for our two drafted leagues (Majors for 11/12 year olds, and Supreme for 9/10 year olds).
LLI has not required patches for our assigned leagues, where the majority of players reside (over 70% of our 120 or so teams).

Uniforms are donated annually by one of the local MLB teams, but our Board of Directors felt $3 to have a seamstress affix a patch to each uniform was a financial burden (IMO uniforms look sharper with the patch). All players have the patch for tournament play.

#8 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:21 PM

"Uniforms are donated annually by one of the local MLB teams, but our Board of Directors felt $3 to have a seamstress affix a patch to each uniform was a financial burden (IMO uniforms look sharper with the patch). "

Is this a poorer area? While I'm not saying you should, if you have donated uniforms, it seems like $3 per player isn't a lot.

Just curious.

#9 RB56

RB56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:51 AM

"Uniforms are donated annually by one of the local MLB teams, but our Board of Directors felt $3 to have a seamstress affix a patch to each uniform was a financial burden (IMO uniforms look sharper with the patch). "

Is this a poorer area? While I'm not saying you should, if you have donated uniforms, it seems like $3 per player isn't a lot.

Just curious.

We are considered an affluent area.  According to a 2010 study of cities with populations above 75,000, we were ranked the wealthiest in the Midwest and the eleventh wealthiest in the nation (pulled that from Wikipedia).

Our Little League fees are probably way on the upper tier in comparison to most:

• Rookie Divisions are at $140 (instructional leagues for 7/8 year olds).
  • Non-Drafted Divisions are at $185 (assigned leagues split between 9/10 year olds, and 11/12 year olds).
  • Drafted Divisions are at $340 (Supreme League for 9/10 year olds, and Major League for 11/12 year olds).

When the Board made the comment about the cost of affixing a patch on donated uniforms being a financial burden, it caused a few eye rolls.  League had about $300,000 sitting in a bank account at the time, but felt the patch money could best be spent on professional training for players.  Have a Board that likes to do its own thang, and Williamsport doesn't seem to mind.

#10 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:32 AM

Free/donated uniforms, fees from $140 to $340, $300,000 in the bank and $3.00 to pay to have patches sewn on the uniforms is too much - your league continues to amaze me.

Paying for professional trainers, you guys must go to Regionals/Williamsport just about every year !!!

=======
By the way, do the parents that pay hundreds of dollars in fees know about the $300,000 in the bank?
  • Plesh likes this

#11 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,334 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:03 AM

My league is right in the middle of one of the cities with lowest median household incomes in California.
We charge $65 for the first kid and $50 for the second.
Every kid (400+) gets a button up with a patch.
Each team has a $500 dollar local business sponsor.

#12 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 03:27 PM

Thanks for the info.
It is interesting to hear about other leagues.

I can understand why the eyes would roll on the patches decision.

Our three biggest expenses are fields, uniforms and equipment. That why I was interested. If we didn't have the other uniform costs, $3 for the patch for some of the players wouldn't seem like a lot. Or our fees could be much smaller.
Our area is mixed, a small very wealthy area, but some years we don't get even one player from there, a quite well off area that we get a number of players from and disadvantaged area where most of our scholarships come from.

We are $175 for LL, and $250 for Seniors in Spring.
The biggest expense is tens of thousands in field fees.

Though I have not heard of a local league getting in trouble for it, such a big reserve could raise red flags with people.
Are their plans for that $300,000.

#13 RB56

RB56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:53 AM

Free/donated uniforms, fees from $140 to $340, $300,000 in the bank and $3.00 to pay to have patches sewn on the uniforms is too much - your league continues to amaze me.

Paying for professional trainers, you guys must go to Regionals/Williamsport just about every year !!!

=======
By the way, do the parents that pay hundreds of dollars in fees know about the $300,000 in the bank?

Lou,

While our league may amaze you, and obviously not in a good way, it also aggravates and frustrates some of us.  Central Region and Williamsport are well aware of our policies and practices, but says little and does even less.

We don't even get out of the District Tournament, as the same league has won it the last few years.  This neighboring league runs a well established affiliated Travel Program, and does a good job developing its top players over the winter months.  Last year, this league lost in the Regional Championship, just missing out on a trip to the Little League World Series.  That team's manager sat on the Board of Directors of both the local Little League as well as the affiliated Travel Program.  That team's manager also managed one of the travel teams.  All violations of published Little League rules and regulations.  This is who our Board of Directors is chasing and competing against.

Our Board of Directors has talked about acquiring a year-round training facility, as this neighboring league has done, and that is likely the reason for the large bank balance.  The financial status of the league is discussed annually at the General Membership Meeting, so it is no secret.

#14 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:05 PM

Lou,

While our league may amaze you, and obviously not in a good way, it also aggravates and frustrates some of us.  Central Region and Williamsport are well aware of our policies and practices, but says little and does even less.

We don't even get out of the District Tournament, as the same league has won it the last few years.  This neighboring league runs a well established affiliated Travel Program, and does a good job developing its top players over the winter months.  Last year, this league lost in the Regional Championship, just missing out on a trip to the Little League World Series.  That team's manager sat on the Board of Directors of both the local Little League as well as the affiliated Travel Program.  That team's manager also managed one of the travel teams.  All violations of published Little League rules and regulations.  This is who our Board of Directors is chasing and competing against.

Our Board of Directors has talked about acquiring a year-round training facility, as this neighboring league has done, and that is likely the reason for the large bank balance.  The financial status of the league is discussed annually at the General Membership Meeting, so it is no secret.

LL may not care about the $300,000 in the bank but the state or feds may find that excessive for a charitable non-profit of your size. 

• rsnyder6 likes this

#15 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:40 PM

"Our Board of Directors has talked about acquiring a year-round training facility, as this neighboring league has done, and that is likely the reason for the large bank balance."

You mean actually buying one?

​Having been repeated snowed out for player evaluations, maybe could we use that.

#16 Robin Barradio

Robin Barradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 03:21 PM

LL may not care about the $300,000 in the bank but the state or feds may find that excessive for a charitable non-profit of your size.

Absolutely false.
There is no law or statute regulating how much money a 501©3 corporation can carry over from year to year. Also has no bearing on the size of your organization. As long as you file your taxes properly, you are allowed by law to carry over any surplus from year to year. I believe it is form 990. Many NPO's carry over millions of dollars from year to year.

It's a common myth that people believe that NPO's can't make a profit, or must spend all of their money. You can't pay shareholders, but you are allowed to make money and hold it in reserve. There are restrictions on how to spend the money, but you can make as much as you want.

Many NPO's will take a few years to raise money for a specific reason. A good BOD will have those situations all planned out.

NPO's can get backlash from their members if they are raising too much money and not spending it, or not having a plan to spend it. But that in it of itself, does not concern the IRS.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users