Draft Optiona

10 replies to this topic

#1 Cellemme

Cellemme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:17 PM

Just looking for affirmation of the following.

In an Alternative B redraft, manager notifies PA in writing prior to draft the he wants an option to draft manager’s 12 year old son.
So, the manager must select his son in or before round three.
Manager drafts a player in Round 1 that is not his son.
In round 2 manager selects another player that is not his son. Round 2 player has a sibling in the draft.
Sibling option allows that manager to have an option to select the sibling in the next round.
As I understand it, the manager’s son option take priority and since he notified the PA pre-draft, the manager must select his son in round three, thereby losing the sibling option.
Sibling would be eligible to be drafted by any team.

If manager wants that round 2 player and sibling, he either selects his son in round 1 (i.e before round 3) and then he can take siblings rounds 2 and 3.
Or draft as explained above and roll the dice that he gets sibling in round 4 or later.

This would be true in later rounds for managers with 11 and 10 year olds.

Thanks.

#2 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:53 PM

Correct.
Manager must take his 12 year old child in 3rd round thus giving up the sibling option.
If another manager takes the sibling the manager would need to make a trade to get him/her.

#3 Cellemme

Cellemme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:04 AM

Thanks Lou.
One more thing.
With a re-draft there are no returning coach child options since there is no team to return to from last year.
All coaches are “New” and can’t be appointed until after draft.

#4 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:22 AM

Correct again.

There are also no Options for "Brothers/Sisters currently on the Team" since, as you say, there are no returning teams.

So in a re-draft, the only two Options that apply are:
Brothers/Sisters in the Draft
Sons/Daughters of Managers

#5 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,334 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:25 AM

...or sibling of the manager.

#6 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:49 PM

Manager siblings are included under Sons/Daughters of Managers.

Always wondered why siblings were not included under Sons/Daughters of Returning Coaches?

I've been involved with more drafts than I care to count and I have only seen the manager sibling used once!
  • rsnyder6 likes this

#7 Guest_George_*

Guest_George_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2018 - 04:53 PM

We re-draft every year in Minors (9-10) and start with 1 manager and 1 assistant coach.   Our By-laws indicate that Manager starts with son and assistant son.  Problem is they both have brothers.  What's the correct ruling on the "Sibling Rule / Manager Son"  as it pertains to our League. 

#8 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:58 PM

By rule, minor teams are disbanded at the end of each season and new teams are formed the next year.

How you put your Minor Teams together is up to your local league and should be described in your Local Rules.
In Minors, you do not have to follow the Plans/Options in the LL Operating Policies.

Assuming this situation is not covered in your Local Rules (if it was, why would you be asking), I would say the two siblings would need to be picked in the next two rounds.

That said, the answer is really up to your BOD/Player Agent.

#9 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 02:26 AM

We re-draft every year in Minors (9-10) and start with 1 manager and 1 assistant coach. Our By-laws indicate that Manager starts with son and assistant son. Problem is they both have brothers. What's the correct ruling on the "Sibling Rule / Manager Son" as it pertains to our League.

We do the same thing in Minors. We require the siblings to be picked in the next two rounds as Lou suggests, unless there are requests to have them on another team, (which has only happened once in Minors in my memory).

I find Minors drafts to be much less cutthroat than Majors in general.

I have really been pushing for more balanced teams in the past few years though.
This more because of coaches, particularly the ones of the younger players, picking a group of friends rather than players on position and ability.

#10 Guest_Geogre_*

Guest_Geogre_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:18 PM

Everything is cutthroat in our local league, but that's what I also believed was correct.

I assume that the "manager option" doesn't work for our league because our by-laws dictate that the Manager and assistant coach begin with there 2 son's.

We draft "Majors" the same way and Re-Draft every year.
The only "options" our league can use is the "Sibling Option" which is next available round when the "Parent Option" is used.

#11 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,080 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:41 PM

Major drafts need to follow a Draft Plan and the Options in the LL Operating Policies.
If you want to do something different you are required to submit your Plan to Williamsport and get it approved prior to using it.

That said, there is no way LL knows what Draft Plan you guys use. So, if you use a "non-approved" plan it is what it is.

Now, if someone complains to your DA, Region or Williamsport about it ...
I know of a case in a neighboring District where a league was required to re-draft their teams with the DA/ADA present to make sure the Draft was done properly.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users