6 replies to this topic

#1 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,021 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:26 PM

We highly encourage all of the leagues/teams to play Inter-League so they get the opportunity to play other teams at other parks (sort of mini-travel ball).
Most leagues do play some Inter-League (BB and SB).

Softball: 122 games (have not done Seniors yet)
Baseball: 167 games (have not done 50/70 or Seniors yet)

We will also have Weekend Softball Jamborees (Special Games Tournaments) in Minors, Majors and Juniors (maybe Seniors too).
We will also have Mid-Season Baseball Tournaments for Minors and Majors.
Those give every player the opportunity to play in a Tournament.

As the District Inter-League Coordinator I'm going to be very busy this year.

By the way, the new online Inter-League process is a pain !!!

#2 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:15 PM

How many leagues are in your district and how many of them do inter-league in Minors and Majors?

#3 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,021 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:21 PM

Thirteen Leagues, one is BB only and one is SB only.
Nine of 12 play Inter-League Baseball in one or more divisions.
Ten of 12 play Inter-League Softball in one or more divisions.

#4 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:07 AM

We (as a league) would like to get this going but have two issues we always run into.

One is the largest league and the one that has the most say in the district runs its own tournaments Spring Summer and Fall bringing in kids on teams from other districts. They apparently feel interleague play would cut into this. (I expect they are right, though they are different.)

The other is when we bring this up, the couple leagues interested, (often meaning close by), don't want to do real LL interleague. They want to bring in basically what will be their all-star teams to play our teams. Which is not interleague. (And we would also be crushed.) I received two such requests this fall season.

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:45 PM

We have to interleague and have been for years. We are a small league with a 7.5 square mile boundary. Every division above kid pitch minors only ever has 1 or 2 teams so there really isn't a choice for them.
A lot of the LL rules hurt us because of our size and lack of options so a lot of our good players move on to travel ball (which I would do too in the same situation) since we have 0 chance of ever competing with the other leagues in our District, some of them being 6x larger (registration-wise).

It won't be too much longer until LL is dead in this area with the exception of T-Ball and Minors.

#6 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:18 PM

We have to interleague and have been for years. We are a small league with a 7.5 square mile boundary. Every division above kid pitch minors only ever has 1 or 2 teams so there really isn't a choice for them.
A lot of the LL rules hurt us because of our size and lack of options so a lot of our good players move on to travel ball (which I would do too in the same situation) since we have 0 chance of ever competing with the other leagues in our District, some of them being 6x larger (registration-wise).

It won't be too much longer until LL is dead in this area with the exception of T-Ball and Minors.

While our overall numbers are up this year this point, our Majors (11-12) are down 20%.

I spoke last fall with a local sports business guy with travel teams who said he realized if he helped kill off Little League, where would he get his players from.

LL would be a very different place with no Majors + .
Not there yet, but last fall was the first time in memory we didn't have a Junior or Senior Division.

Real shame is it hurts the average kid who wants to play ball and have fun.

#7 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 06:17 AM

While I'm whining, as sometimes happens, it looks like I have 1 manager in one charter and 10 in another.
Several that won't manage in one, and I'll have to beg for people in the other.

I know, wa, wa, wa. :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users