#2 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:08 PM

I don't mind the new look, but all the convenient links at the top of the old website are now hidden in menus.

Also, a lot of their old links are broken and don't redirect to the new ones. 

#3 Mike_Hirschman

Mike_Hirschman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,325 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 26 January 2018 - 03:48 PM

Your last comment leads me to believe that this was a vendor switch or a series change of CMS. Otherwise there would be fully migrated content. When content doesn't cleanly migrate, you have to do it manually (which is a pain in the rear, but can be done). 

My guess is it is vendor or else the content would still be living somewhere. 

I went to look for something on an old congress agenda this week and it went poof.

#4 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,066 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 26 January 2018 - 04:00 PM

On our District Website we have a number of "Links" to various items on the LL Website.
When I checked them I got an Error Message on about half of them.
Had to go find the page in the new LL Website and then update the "Links" on our District Site.

I used to know where everything was on the LL Website.
Now I'll probably have to spend an hour or two learning where it all is again.
  • rsnyder6 likes this

#5 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:57 PM

On our District Website we have a number of "Links" to various items on the LL Website.
When I checked them I got an Error Message on about half of them.
Had to go find the page in the new LL Website and then update the "Links" on our District Site.

I used to know where everything was on the LL Website.
Now I'll probably have to spend an hour or two learning where it all is again.

Your last comment leads me to believe that this was a vendor switch or a series change of CMS. Otherwise there would be fully migrated content. When content doesn't cleanly migrate, you have to do it manually (which is a pain in the rear, but can be done). 

My guess is it is vendor or else the content would still be living somewhere. 

I went to look for something on an old congress agenda this week and it went poof.

I just did the same thing, clicked all the links on our league site and most come back as oops. Aggravating that I have to go back through and update the links.

Really surprising they didn't migrate everything.

To find the old agendas, just google them, and go to the cached version of the site. It's not perfect, but the quickest way.

#6 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:58 PM

Actually, when you try to search the new site you get this:

Can't find what you're looking for? We're still in the process of moving content over from our previous site.
Visit Archive.LittleLeague.org or email [email protected] if you have any questions.

So you can go to the archive of the old site still.

#7 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:56 PM

Actually, when you try to search the new site you get this:

Can't find what you're looking for? We're still in the process of moving content over from our previous site.
Visit Archive.LittleLeague.org or email [email protected] if you have any questions.

Why do anything sensible like have the new version ready to go when it gets turned on?

#8 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:59 PM

Because that would make too much sense and LL hasn't been thinking for 15 years.

#9 Mike_Hirschman

Mike_Hirschman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,325 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:34 PM

Actually, it is not uncommon to keep an archive site ESPECIALLY when the migration doesn't go well. And you really never know how the migration is going to go until you start because there are so many updates and changes to CRMs that it doesn't take much to throw it off. 

Believe me... when I was an SID, I had to migrate full seasons of an athletic department website in about two weeks because the migrated files were FUBAR in the new CRM. Every game story, every news release, relinking box scores... easily over 3000 pages that we had to manually migrate by dropping the text into notepad to strip out the code and then drop it into the new CRM. Everything but the photos in order to maintain our history. Three full-time staff and a couple of student-workers dedicated to it during those two weeks. 

And it sucked! 

• rsnyder6 likes this

#10 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,066 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 30 January 2018 - 05:15 PM

I would venture to say LL had more than three staffers and two students that worked a lot more than two weeks on the new Website.
When it comes to this stuff, before putting it on line, there are three things you need to do:
1) Test it
2) Test it
3) Test it
Looks like LL struck out again !!!
  • rsnyder6 likes this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users