USA Bats

19 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Goldfish

Captain Goldfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:13 AM

Is it legal to use a USA approved bat during the fall season?

#2 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:41 AM

Our league decided to allow both USAbats and the 'old' bats this fall.

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:09 PM

This was the communication from our West Region Director

"Legal bats. West Region Little League has approved the new 2018 bat standard for use in 2017 fall ball. This means that big barrel bats can be used this fall, if (and only if) they are stamped with the "USA Baseball" logo. For that matter, any bats stamped with the "USA Baseball" logo can be used this fall."

#4 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,863 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:16 PM

Prior to starting Fall Ball we contacted Williamsport and were told that USA Bats were approved for use this fall.
Lots of kids using "2017" bats but a few are using USA bats.

#5 Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:12 PM

This was not communicated to local little leagues very effectively.  First we heard that 2018 standards were not permitted, then we heard that only 2 1/4" USABATs were permitted in the fall, now its any USA BAT.  Without a fall tournament, there was no reason not to allow USABATs in the fall but we still didn't hear the final word on the new USABAT standard until halfway through the season.  This transition is being handled very poorly.

We are making every little leaguer after T-Ball buy a new bat at the same time.  Was any thought put into the notion of starting the USABAT standard at the higher levels and moving them down so we aren't all driving up the prices of bats this spring?  On the Dick's website, I see 0 bats below $50, 3 bats below $100, 4 bats between $100 and $200, and 6 bats above $200 (half of those are over $300).  In the past I could always pick up a bat at 50% off, I don't expect to be able to do that this Spring because EVERYONE will be buying a new bat.  This transition is being handled with little thought to the cost it is imposing on little league families.

I see almost no bats with a -12 drop, almost all the products are aimed at older stronger players.  This rule only seems to care mostly about players at or around the majors level, so why not limit the requirement to majors players or tournament eligible players?  Its too late now but a little more explanation about why it was so important for 1st graders to transition at the same time as the 6th graders would have been helpful.

#6 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,863 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 21 October 2017 - 12:55 PM

In several discussions with Williamsport I suggested that in 2018 players use USA bats but also be allowed to continue to use their "old bats" for another year or two.
If a bat was legal (safe) in 2017 what's the big deal with allowing it to be used in 2018 or maybe even 2019?

I pointed out it would allow families with multiple children to spread out their bat purchases over a couple of years.
It would also help leagues spread out their new bat purchases instead of having to spend a great deal of money in one year.

I guess LL didn't like that idea!

#7 Guest_Gator Y_*

Guest_Gator Y_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:44 PM

For an up-to-date list (from a parent from another forum) please look at this list of USA BATS

https://www.filterjo...te-usabat-list/

Leagues will have to be resourceful in the spring.
I still think the Little League/Dicks Sporting Goods conglomerate will have to offer up some deals for the lower end bats.

#8 Mike_Hirschman

Mike_Hirschman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:15 PM

This was not communicated to local little leagues very effectively.  First we heard that 2018 standards were not permitted, then we heard that only 2 1/4" USABATs were permitted in the fall, now its any USA BAT.  Without a fall tournament, there was no reason not to allow USABATs in the fall but we still didn't hear the final word on the new USABAT standard until halfway through the season.  This transition is being handled very poorly.

We are making every little leaguer after T-Ball buy a new bat at the same time.  Was any thought put into the notion of starting the USABAT standard at the higher levels and moving them down so we aren't all driving up the prices of bats this spring?  On the Dick's website, I see 0 bats below $50, 3 bats below $100, 4 bats between $100 and $200, and 6 bats above $200 (half of those are over $300).  In the past I could always pick up a bat at 50% off, I don't expect to be able to do that this Spring because EVERYONE will be buying a new bat.  This transition is being handled with little thought to the cost it is imposing on little league families.

I see almost no bats with a -12 drop, almost all the products are aimed at older stronger players.  This rule only seems to care mostly about players at or around the majors level, so why not limit the requirement to majors players or tournament eligible players?  Its too late now but a little more explanation about why it was so important for 1st graders to transition at the same time as the 6th graders would have been helpful.

There was only one communication regarding the fall season that came out of HQ. Anything else you heard was speculation or people who were speaking out of turn. 

The communication about the bat switch came three years ago. Youth baseball has NEVER given as much notice about any change as has been given for this change. Yes, it is an expensive one. That was a concern for many folks... more so for those caught in the middle with the teenage divisions. Hopefully some of the prices start working out better in the coming months. 

T-ball has been given an exception with USABats next year under their sticker program. (http://www.littlelea...ballbatinfo.htm)

Bats are still being released. If you don't see a bat with a drop 12, it might just be that the exit speed /  scientific math didn't work out. THIS IS NOT JUST LITTLE LEAGUE. This is ALL of youth baseball... and the only reason it happened is because USA Baseball took the lead on it with the bat manufacturers. 

#9 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:27 PM

For an up-to-date list (from a parent from another forum) please look at this list of USA BATS

https://www.filterjo...te-usabat-list/

Leagues will have to be resourceful in the spring.
I still think the Little League/Dicks Sporting Goods conglomerate will have to offer up some deals for the lower end bats.

There was a three year notice. Should have built up a new bat fund.

#10 Guest_Gator Y_*

Guest_Gator Y_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:05 PM

Three year notice.
The bats came out September 2017, 4 months before January 1 and 6 months before tryouts.
We have 42 teams and 500 players, and Dick's is already sold out.
We have 7 leagues in our district and 8 districts in our state.

I'm a bit worried that the supply chain isn't going to be able to keep up.
As a Board Member am I supposed to walk into Dicks and buy 30 bats?
They don't even have that inventory.

#11 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:45 PM

Three year notice.
The bats came out September 2017, 4 months before January 1 and 6 months before tryouts.

There are other stores.
  • Plesh likes this

#12 Mike_Hirschman

Mike_Hirschman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:53 PM

Three year notice.

The fact that they rolled them out on September 1 (virtually unannounced) should tell you there will be plenty.
They don't stop making them.
There will not be a shortage, just a bunch of griping about it.

This is the future.
We all need to embrace it.
  • amutz and Plesh like this

#13 Guest_Bill Lingrell_*

Guest_Bill Lingrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2017 - 03:35 PM

Has anyone compared the $80 easton bats to the $350 type?

#14 Chris the CPA

Chris the CPA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:54 AM

Manufacturers typically make sure there is a difference to justify the price. In the past the more expensive bats performed much better once they are broken in.

#15 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:23 PM

Manufacturers typically make sure there is a difference to justify the price. In the past the more expensive bats performed much better once they are broken in.

Bats have to comply after being broken in.

#16 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 31 October 2017 - 03:26 PM

USABat standard will make it harder to differentiate on 'peak' performance.
Size of sweet spot, vibration/sting, cool new graphics, and sound are going to be much of the difference.

#17 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:03 PM

Bats have to comply after being broken in.

They have to comply even after break-in, yes, but what Chris said is definitely true, the more expensive bats were much better than the cheaper ones.

#18 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:02 PM

They have to comply even after break-in, yes, but what Chris said is definitely true, the more expensive bats were much better than the cheaper ones.

Were.
Then the rules folks made them comply after breaking them in.
That's where the illegal bat list came from.
Didn't start with USABat

#19 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:35 PM

Nope, it started with BBCOR.

Now we'll see a much smaller gap between the most expensive and the cheaper bats.

#20 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:26 PM

My personal experience with $50 (cheap) vs $250 (premium) bats in LL and BBCOR outside of pure max 'pop'

- 'premium' bats tend to have a bigger sweet spot

- 'premium' bats tend to have less 'sting'

- 'premium' bats, or anyway the better ones, don't dent/crack as easily

I am guessing these will continue to be differentiators and drive sales of the more expensive bats.   

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users