2018 Congress

No replies to this topic

#1 Westfield Mike

Westfield Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:22 AM

What will be on the agenda for the 2018 Little League Congress?

#2 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:32 AM

What will be on the Agenda - whatever Williamsport wants !!! :)

If you have a suggestion for an Agenda Item now is the time to get your DA to write it up and submit it.

Nothing yet on the Agenda on the 2018 Congress Webpage.
LL will generally send out a list of potential Agenda Items and the DAs will get to vote on the ones they want presented.

#3 B_Hanlon

B_Hanlon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 623 posts
  • LocationPomfret Center, CT

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:38 PM

DA's have until the end of September to submit recommendations.

#4 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:05 PM

My DA has sent in 2 so far.

One on allowing split leagues to recombine if they drop to a total of 6 or fewer teams.

The other is on approving major division Affidavits with fewer than 12 players (only if league has 2 teams or less, more than that have to go to the Region/Williamsport for approval).

Working on a third on Combining leagues for Tournament Play.
  • amutz and rsnyder6 like this

#5 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:39 AM

I'd like to see one I know I won't see !!!

The MPR Regulation says it applies to players present at the start of the game.
But, LL says MPR also applies to late arriving players that a manager puts into the game even though the Regulation does not say that it does.

I don't think it should!!!

So, a kid arrives late and rather than having the kid sit on the bench the whole game why shouldn't the manager be allowed to give the kid an at-bat or let him/her play defense in the last inning?
Isn't some playing time better than none?

Now, if the manager does put a late arriving player in the game, 3.03 applies so the player can't be taken out before meeting MPR but if the game ends before the player meets MPR it should not (in my opinion) be an MPR violation.
Why punish the manager for giving the kid some playing time?

Like I said, I'm sure LL won't put that one on the Agenda.

=================
If LL wants to make the Regulation state how they want it implemented they should revise it to say it applies to "players present at the start of the game and to late arriving players who are entered into the game by the manager."
  • rsnyder6 likes this

#6 Westfield Mike

Westfield Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:32 PM

This is a critical year for Little League, in my opinion. Significant changes are needed in order for long term survival. Travel Ball is diluting the community programs to the point where they may not even be around four years from now. It's very sad to see.

Little League can't sit back and ignore the issues for much longer. The success of the World Series is great, but it is really only masking the problems that local leagues are facing. Even the most successful leagues are frauds - no games on weekends, All Star players showing up to the minimum number of games. That's not Little League to me. Little League is showing up to the park on a Saturday, watching all your friends play and playing in your own game.

As a league, we are forced to either sell our souls and give up weekends completely or have kids dual roster in some sort of secondary district travel program. None of these options are good and many are just plain complicated.

Haven't we reached the point where we can create a Little League travel program to compete with AAU and other travel programs? What I'm suggesting is to separate out your All Star level players and have them play against other All Star level players for the entire season (not just a few weeks in June/July). This would enable the community programs to stay in tact while also allowing parents to put their kids in more competitive leagues at a fraction of the price of AAU.

It seems pretty simple.

#7 Westfield Mike

Westfield Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:33 PM

12 Year Old Rule - Little League should remove the requirement that 12 year olds must play in Majors (without a waiver). This rule forces leagues to dilute their talent. It should be up to the local league to determine how to structure their divisions.

Tournament Mandatory Play - The reality is that kids and their parents don't want to give up their summers to sit on the bench. If mandatory play was 6 outs and 1 at bat at the 8-10 and 9-11 levels, it would be easier to retain kids from year to year. What I've seen is that the kids getting one bat bat as 10 year olds are choosing not to play All Stars in subsequent seasons. I'm fine with one at bat at the 12 year old level.

Regional Restructure - There should be 8 teams at each Regional. It's not right for some teams to get byes after winning state championships. Modified Double Elimination is also ridiculous, in my opinion, but I understand that TV is dictating that. Let's send more teams to Regionals and give more kids an awesome experience.

Split Leagues - I like what Lou said above. There should be something in writing that outlines the parameters used for determining when leagues have to have two (or more) All Star teams. The inconsistency from district to district is frustrating. Leagues that have been around for a while are being penalized.

• Westfield Mike likes this

#8 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:12 AM

I like Lou's posted ideas.

" The inconsistency from district to district is frustrating. "

Very. We don't want to get away with anything, but we are not in the situation we were when we had 1900 kids. Or even 5-6 years ago with 17 team in three charters. 

But 7-8 teams in three charters, (with one charter not having enough for even one team), and being told we can't combine when larger leagues elsewhere are is frustrating.

• amutz and Plesh like this

#9 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:41 PM

12 Year Old Rule - Little League should remove the requirement that 12 year olds must play in Majors (without a waiver). This rule forces leagues to dilute their talent. It should be up to the local league to determine how to structure their divisions.

Tournament Mandatory Play - The reality is that kids and their parents don't want to give up their summers to sit on the bench. If mandatory play was 6 outs and 1 at bat at the 8-10 and 9-11 levels, it would be easier to retain kids from year to year. What I've seen is that the kids getting one bat bat as 10 year olds are choosing not to play All Stars in subsequent seasons. I'm fine with one at bat at the 12 year old level.

Regional Restructure - There should be 8 teams at each Regional. It's not right for some teams to get byes after winning state championships. Modified Double Elimination is also ridiculous, in my opinion, but I understand that TV is dictating that. Let's send more teams to Regionals and give more kids an awesome experience.

Split Leagues - I like what Lou said above. There should be something in writing that outlines the parameters used for determining when leagues have to have two (or more) All Star teams. The inconsistency from district to district is frustrating. Leagues that have been around for a while are being penalized.

It's such a small number of 12s that aren't "Majors Level" each year, no reason to make them play Minors. Plus most of those kids aren't playing at a higher level, they are just there to play ball with their friends. Very rare circumstances to have a 12 play in Minors.

If you increase MPR for 6 & 1 then you're going to get a lot more 10 and 11 man rosters. Don't see how that helps anything.

8 teams in each region was a stretch is the 90s when LL was at its peak, it's an absurd stretch now. There are probably just a handful of states left that could send out 2 competitive teams. Contraction is 10 times more likely than expansion.

Lou is 100% right, there should be some guidelines on split/ combined leagues.

#10 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:31 PM

MPR of 6/1 for lower levels would be fine by me.
We'd still field rosters of 12, but if we get some 11 player rosters in lower divisions frankly that is OK too.
I have seen a lot of lasting bad feelings over the 1 AB MPR especially in younger ages.

#11 Westfield Mike

Westfield Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:27 PM

Plesh - Are you a DA? President? Coach?

#12 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:07 PM

Player Agent and Manager.

#13 Westfield Mike

Westfield Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:16 PM

Our Majors Divison has at least 3 league age 12's who don't belong. This forces us to dilute the talent and makes the league less competitive. Because of that, we lose some kids to other programs. If other leagues want to have all their 12's in Majors, it's fine with me. I just don't think it's right for us.

I've Managed All Stars for 8 years now and have seen the effect on the 1 at bat rule. As a coach, having 13 kids is the way to go. But, the unintended consequence is that if you carry 13 when the kids are 10 years old, the lower tier kids and their families tend to not return for subsequent years.

What's the harm in having more teams at Regionals? I think it would be a great experience for the players and also fix the unfair advantage of byes.

#14 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:50 PM

3 kids? 3 kids are diluting the talent? Please.

I'm not saying there isn't an effect from the 1 AB rule with 13 or 14 (I dealt with it this year at 9/10), but just saying well we'll increase MPR to 6/1 without thinking of the other side of things is a little shortsighted. The bench kids/ parents will always be unhappy, doesn't matter if you have 10 players or 20. Doesn't matter if MPR is 1/6 or 2/9 or it doesn't exist at all. That's just how it goes. The current system encourages you to take more kids and I think that's a great thing. Something special about wearing a jersey with your name on the back. The more kids the better IMO.

I don't disagree with 6 team DE being atrocious (even more so with Modified DE), but it's just not practical to send more teams. Talk about diluting the talent. Most states are happy to send 1 competitive team to regions. Sending more than 1 is just not realistic. No one wants to watch 4 SoCal teams play each other and that's what you would get by sending 64 teams.

#15 Westfield Mike

Westfield Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:43 PM

3 kids on each team. So 1/4 of the lineup.

Having coached 6/1 and 0/1 for mandatory play, I would say that there were fewer complaints with 6/1. With that said, if you only have 10 strong players, you're better off adding 3 bodies than fielding 12. In my experience with 13, kids love to make the team initially, but that wears off about 2 games in and they realize they have no shot to play the field. More kids returned the following year when mandatory play was 6/1.

#16 Westfield Mike

Westfield Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:54 PM

The real question (and the reason that I created this post) was to get an idea of whether or not something big was going to come out of the Congress.
Why is Little League so comfortable sitting back and letting kids run off to travel ball?
There are solutions that would allow more competitive play than traditional regular season at a fraction of the cost of what people are paying for "Travel Ball".

#17 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:07 PM

Mike, as I said above, if you have a proposed Agenda Item have your DA send it to Williamsport, you've still got a couple of weeks.

So, write up your ideas/what you would like to see changed, and get them submitted.

This is your chance to "be part of the solution"!!!

=========
Mike, has your District looked into having the leagues form "Elite" Teams (best players) that travel/play against the other league's teams on Saturdays/Sundays?
Originally started in New York District 8 but is now being done in other Districts/areas.

#18 Westfield Mike

Westfield Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:16 AM

Our district does have an Intermediate Division, but dual rostering is complicated and leads to arm injuries.

#19 Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:59 AM

Anyone else having to expand in 2018 due to too many 12s?
We are going to have to add 3 teams to accommodate all our 12s and the talent level isn't there.
Plus expansion rules only allow us to keep 3 and parents are already getting upset their kids may have to switch teams.

#20 Westfield Mike

Westfield Mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 03:06 AM

Chris - This will likely happen to many leagues due to the large number of kids in this particular age group.
There will have to be another adjustment the following year due to all those 12's moving on.
I know many don't agree with me on this board, but it should be up to the league to determine whether or not all 12's are required to be in Majors.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users