#1 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:26 PM

It's that time of year again!

Sending out our Meeting Notices which includes asking for the names of anyone interested in running for the BOD.

Putting together the documents for the meeting (membership list, financials, etc).

No planned changes to the Constitution this year.

Will finalize the Ballot a few days before the meeting.

#2 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:20 PM

How often do you get more than 1 person running for a position?

#3 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,322 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:00 PM

We nominate people to run at the annual meeting....There is no pre made ballot, just a white board we put names on....If we decide to have 15 board members all the general members get to write in up to 15 names. If you are in the top 15 with more than 50% of the total votes you are elected to the board. After that the new board decides who takes what position.

#4 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:45 AM

We have a prepared Ballot but we also take nominations "from the floor" at the meeting (their names get added to the end of the Ballot).

The membership decides on the number of Board Members (it's been 15 for years and years).

Assuming it stays at 15, each Member then gets to vote for 15 people and the top 15 with over 50% of the votes are elected.
If, for example, only 13 get more than 50% of the votes then at a subsequent BOD Meeting those 13 appoint/elect the 2 other Board Members.

The BOD Members select/decide/vote on the 7 Officers.

===================
Jeremy - I guess you don't use/allow Absentee Ballots?

#5 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:03 AM

The seven mandatory positions?....how do you fill the other eight seats?...If I rember right UIC isn't one of the seven, it's only highly recommended but in reality it's the second most important position IMO.

#6 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:18 AM

We have 15 Board Members, the 7 required Officers plus 8 others.

The other 8 include positions like VP Softball, PA Softball, BB UIC, SB UIC, Information Officer, Field/Scheduling Coordinator, Concession Coordinator, Equipment Manager, whatever !!!

Some serve two positions to cover things like division coordinators, sponsorships, uniforms, trophies, photographs, you name it.
That said, some of those positions are filled by Volunteer Non-Voting Board Appointees.

#7 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:49 PM

So each general member votes for the 15 (or whatever the number is) board members, then those 15 board members are the only ones allowed to vote/select the 7 executive board members, correct?

#8 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:57 PM

In our league, as in many/most, Yes.
That said, I do know of a league that has its Members elect the BOD Officers.

Elections are described in your league's Constitution.

Many/most league Constitutions are the "Recommended" LL Constitution with the "blanks" filled in.
The "Recommended" LL Constitution has the Members annually elect the BOD and then the elected BOD Members select/elect which 7 of them will serve as the required Officers.

LL Election Procedures:
http://www.littlelea.../page59473.aspx

#9 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:25 PM

Do you have the potential BOD members with their names on the ballot say a few words why they should be elected?
Do the general members have an idea of who is going to be in what role when they elect the 15?

#10 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:39 PM

Candidates do not get to speak at the meeting as to why they should be elected.

Since many existing BOD Officers normally run for re-election, many get re-elected and end up in the same position.

That said, there is no tenure so there is "no guarantee" that, for example, if last year's president gets elected to the Board again this year that he/she would be the President again.
This year's BOD could elect a different President.

The first year I was elected President by the BOD the previous President ended up as VP.

#11 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:28 PM

So how does a new/younger member have any idea who to vote for?

#12 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:53 PM

In my local league, BOD Members, managers, coaches and volunteer umpires are automatic Members.

For anyone else to become a Member they have to Volunteer/become active in the league.

When they do, they will meet/work with other Volunteers involved with the league, including current Board Members.
Once they "put in their time" the BOD will approve them as a Member and the Secretary will add them to the Membership List.

The Membership List (Members in good standing) is used to determine:
1) Who gets notified of the meeting
2) If the meeting quorum requirement is met (no quorum = no meeting/election, you need to schedule another meeting)
3) Who can run for the BOD
4) Who gets to vote

As for the "new" Members, by the time elections roll around in September, they should have a pretty good idea of those best to serve on the BOD.

#13 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:19 PM

That's what I figured.
We use the Recommended LL Constitution like most leagues, but since this recent Board has taken over our Executive Board Member/Board Member/Regular Member differentiation has been a mess.
Our Annual Meeting is in October so I'll make sure we are doing things the right way for next year (and beyond).
Thanks.
  • Jeremy likes this

#14 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:16 PM

Every year or two I am asked to attend a a General Membership/Election Meeting to make sure it is run properly.
Normally no problems.

Worst was 6-7 years ago.
Meeting was at the league's Concession Stand on a Sunday night.
There were about 40 people there.
I asked how many members were on the membership list and what the required quorum was.
I was told there was no list and that everyone who showed up was given a ballot.
I asked how people were informed of the meeting and was told it was posted on the sign at the field and that flyers were posted in the local food stores.

I informed them of the proper way to have a meeting/election.
I also told them that if anyone were to complain to the DA/Region/Williamsport the results of the "election" would be invalidated and a new/proper election would need to be held.

I guess no one complained !!!

I was asked back the following year and everything was "by the book".

#15 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:21 AM

>>>Candidates do not get to speak at the meeting as to why they should be elected.

No one at our meetings ever ask to speak but if someone wanted the floor before the vote what harm would there be in that?
I know you could end up having to give everyone the floor but other than time it's not hurting anything.
I would welcome someone taking the floor.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users