#21 Dave Poe

Dave Poe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 11:52 PM

Plesh - we don't either.
To much emphasis by adults on winning and not developing.
To many kids getting 2 innings and 1 AB for a regular season game.
Too many petty squabbles over stupid rules or idiot coaches not rescheduling rainouts because it may not be to their benefit.
  • Plesh likes this

#22 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:37 PM

We used to keep standings, but like Dave said, the only focus was winning and not developing. Only the top 3 or 4 pitchers would see action. The bench kids got MPR only. Lots of arguments.

#23 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:14 PM

We compromised on standings - they are kept but are only used to seed the end of season tournament.
CBO is mandatory for the bulk of regular season.
It helped a lot with playing time and especially with at-bats.

#24 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,086 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:26 PM

IF you are having problems with managers having the same 2-3 kids only getting one at-bat and six defensive outs game after game after game, then go with CBO and pass a Local Rule that requires players play a minimum of 9 defensive outs.
With CBO it's easy to move players in/out and get everyone at least 9 defensive outs.

Another Local Rule with CBO I've seen is:
No player may sit two innings in a row.

#25 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:04 PM

Thanks for the responses. I never ran into a league not using CBO around here except for the late Big League. 

We don't have any extra rules on minimum play but I tell my coaches you generally need to have your players playing at least half a game in the field, and if you don't you are going to hear it from the parents, or I will and you will hear it from me.

I have a feeling that parents in suburban Long Island NY may be tougher than ones in some other (but not all) places. :)

The ones that don't like this take a few better kids and go off to play travel. A loss for everyone.

The ones that do like this will do things like swap their batting order upside down when facing a particularly weak team. Some folks get Little League.  

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users