33 replies to this topic

#21 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,334 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:05 PM

Winning teams can only have nine and loosing teams can have only 12 plate appearances. (10 run rule)

#22 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,070 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:21 PM

How is a team going to win by 10 runs with only 9 plate appearances? B)

It is possible to lose a 10 run rule game with only 12 plate appearances but I have never seen it.

#23 Dave Poe

Dave Poe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:29 PM

I fully support the non compliance with the shortened game. 100%. Had that happen to me as a manager.
Years ago, I put a sub in the field in the top of the 4th that was due up 4th in a 3-0 game.
The top of the 4th, the wheels feel off and we're down 11-0 come the bottom of the 4th where we promptly went 1-2-3 and the kid didn't bat.
It happens.

Fully support current shortened game rule.

#24 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:39 PM

I've seen this one:
Bottom of 6, tie game.
Lead-off batter doubles.
Next batter comes up for his required at-bat.
The 1-1 pitch is in the dirt and rolls away from the catcher.
R2 takes off for third.
Catcher's throw to F5 is off target and goes into left field, R2 scores, game over, MPR violation!

#25 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,334 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:18 PM

How is a team going to win by 10 runs with only 9 plate appearances? B)

It is possible to lose a 10 run rule game with only 12 plate appearances but I have never seen it.

Like always, wasn't thinking before I posted.

#26 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:26 AM

As most of us saw, this became a huge deal, much bigger than anyone could have imagined. Steve Keener went to Bristol to bash this coach on air during the MA game later that day, ESPN wrote an article about it and even talked about it on SportsCenter.

Really amazing how blown out of proportion this became. People are calling for this coach to be jailed. Well maybe not that extreme, but you get the point. For those who are in the FB group, you saw the massive thread about it.

Terribly handled all around by ESPN, LL, and obviously the coach.

Just add another gigantic black mark to the list for LL.

#27 DCBaseball

DCBaseball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:13 PM

Steve Keener and LL International glorify a team like Endwell-Maine that despite being an ancient league, in existence for over 60 years, but could only field a roster of 11 majors players while winning in 2016?
And you ask other teams to field 13-14 players?
Until someone tells me how and why teams are allowed to roster less than 12 every year, I have to support what this coach did. He was giving his team what he thought was its best chance to win within the rules. He knew what he was doing - don't like it - don't ask him back but he made an informed choice.
Don't like that he was ABLE to do it - change the rules.

#28 Mike_Hirschman

Mike_Hirschman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,325 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:38 PM

I don't see an excuse for not getting MPR complete when you have 13. I think 12 is more challenging because of the added defensive requirements.

The NH guy gambled. He deserves to be hung in the square. By some accounts he was reminded more than once that he hadn't gotten everyone into the game. He could have stated at some point during the game that he tried to insert the player and the kid didn't want to play. He didn't do that. So, he can suffer the public outcry.

And I'm pretty sure Steve did not drive from Williamsport to Bristol to show up on air to rip this coach. 

#29 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:52 PM

As others have suggested, LL needs to provide some guidance to DAs on approving Affidavits with less than 12 players.
I think Endwell had 7 major teams last year but only 11 players on their All Star team.
No way our DA would have approved that.

If a league has 3 or more major teams our DA will not approve an Affidavit unless it has at least 12 players on it.
  • rsnyder6 likes this

#30 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:03 PM

LL doesn't care about the 12 player minimum so it is what it is.
I wish they would go back to having no minimum.

And I'm sure Steve didn't drive to Bristol, he probably took his private jet.

MPR violations happen all the time, just rarely on TV, and never as publicized as this.
I don't think this coach deserves to be publicly bashed and being told he ruined this kid's life.

The kid didn't want to play.
If he didn't want to play in the 4th, how can you put him in in the 6th with a chance to get to Williamsport on the line?
  • amutz likes this

#31 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:12 PM

IF the kid refused to bat in the 4th, the manager should have informed the Plate Ump.
At that point the player is "ill/injured" and MPR doesn't apply.

When he was being told the player had not batted and needed to be put in the game in the sixth he could have said something about it then, he didn't.

Makes you wonder.

Did anyone ask the kid about it?

#32 Dave Poe

Dave Poe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:46 PM

The problem with the 12 minimum is that it is up to each DA. Guidelines won't help because 90% of the DAs will see "guideline" and dismiss it.
The problem with narrower definitions is that it will hurt some districts. The bottom line is that there isn't a win here even if you go back to no minimums.
I think LL chooses the lesser of the type of headaches available.

I have approved less than 12 and I have forced leagues to keep digging for one more. It's a case by case situation.
As a general rule of thumb, in all but the 11s, I use a "4 team rule". If you have 4 major teams, you are really going to have to show why you can't field 12 players.
With 3 major teams, I want to see the effort was put in. Anything less, I'll approve it.

#33 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:01 PM

Ok, so don't make it a guideline, make it a rule.

10-12 Baseball Tournament Affidavits must have a minimum of twelve players.
Exception: A DA may approve a 10-12 Baseball Tournament Affidavit with less than twelve players if the league, or combination of leagues, has less than four major teams.
  • Jeremy, amutz and rsnyder6 like this

#34 Mike_Hirschman

Mike_Hirschman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,325 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:59 PM

LL doesn't care about the 12 player minimum so it is what it is.
I wish they would go back to having no minimum.

And I'm sure Steve didn't drive to Bristol, he probably took his private jet.

MPR violations happen all the time, just rarely on TV, and never as publicized as this.
I don't think this coach deserves to be publicly bashed and being told he ruined this kid's life.

The kid didn't want to play.
If he didn't want to play in the 4th, how can you put him in in the 6th with a chance to get to Williamsport on the line?

I'm sure he is handling it a whole lot better than the girls from Atlee who were called a lot of names and had their upbringing brought into question because someone leaked the photo from junior softball. 

#35 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:31 PM

"10-12 Baseball Tournament Affidavits must have a minimum of twelve players.
Exception: A DA may approve a 10-12 Baseball Tournament Affidavit with less than twelve players if the league, or combination of leagues, has less than four major teams."

That would work for me. 

Our small charter had 22 majors players one year. We got 12 on the team. Barely. Four teams should be able to do it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users