2 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,322 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:05 PM

I would like to hear from you where that line is, what separates a simple rule violation from flat out cheating.

#2 Jamief

Jamief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:13 PM

For me cheating

* using ineligible players
* using illegal bats
* circumventing draft rules
* building super teams (travel teams) that play their regular season together.

Simple rules infractions:

* leaving bases early (particularly SB) often it's tough to get players to leave at the right time. More often than not they leave late.

* giving pitches and location. IMO part of the game. Do better with your signs.

* getting away with illegal pitchers. Wouldn't call illegal pitchers cheaters. But they are bending the rules and get away with it more often then not.

* not tagging up, missing bases. Simple rules infractions but are only penalized when appealed. Wouldn't consider those cheating.
  • Jeremy likes this

#3 Robin Barradio

Robin Barradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:57 PM

It's all rule violations. Some violations carry a larger penalty than others. I don't get too hung up on what constitutes cheating. The rules are designed to ensure a level playing field, that one team does not get an unfair advantage over the other. I have rules and will enforce them accordingly.

The definition of cheating in baseball has different meanings depending on who you ask, and therefore can be quite subjective especially in discussion. Some say things are cheating, others say it's gaining an advantage. Some say that any rules violation is cheating, other opinions vary. It's like the old saying, "I can't really define it, but I know it when I see it."

If I had to draw the line, I would differentiate as such. Things that happen on the field, that are internal to the game, such as baserunning mishaps, balks or illegal pitches, RLI, obstruction/interference, and such, would be more likely to be classified as violations. These are things that both teams could manipulate, but are easily adjudicated by proper umpiring. Each team could try to gain an advantage just as easily as the other.

To me, cheating is something external to the play on the field. Things that are often well planned out in secrecy, disguised, and harder for someone to detect. Things that require a higher amount of deceit, and requires some sort of knowleged from the offending coaches and/or players that the act is illegal.

Any umpire, coach, player, or fan can see if a kid left early on a tag up. But it is much harder to detect an ineligible player/pitcher, a rolled or modified bat, etc.

Things done in the open on the playing field are usually just simple rules violations. Things done with secrecy and deceit, more than likely cheating.

• Jeremy likes this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users