18 replies to this topic

#1 B_Hanlon

B_Hanlon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 623 posts
  • LocationPomfret Center, CT

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:34 PM

I would imagine there is more to this story than simply exceeding the 50% maximum of managers and coaches on their BOD's

http://www.ocregiste...ttle-rules.html

#2 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:48 PM

"but my efforts have been futile, which I believe are directly related to the Manager/Coach ratio on the board of directors who are determined to customize the league’s program to their own liking and not consider the best interest of the players in the program,”
So, it sounds like since the majority of the board members are managers/coaches they are passing local rules/regs that are in their best interest and not in the best interest of all of the players.

Not sure what exactly those problems are but I can take a wild guess !!!
If you go to their Website and look at their local rules you may see some problems such as:
"OFFICIAL RULES: Except as supplemented by these Newport Beach Little League Local Rules (the "Local Rules"), the current applicable National Little League Official Rules (the "National Rules") shall apply; provided, however, that to the extent of any conflict or inconsistency between the Local Rules and the National Rules, the Local Rules shall control."
Local Rules govern over LL Rules/Regs - Really !!!

I sure hope this gets resolved quickly so the kids can get back playing.

#3 stan.staziak

stan.staziak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Locationsterling, va

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

Edit: I see in the latest comment the suspension has been lifted

I find it weird that 14 (mgr/coaches)/24 (BoD total) was enough to get this league suspended. Although the article does state that the District Admin has spent a lot of time trying to get them into compliance. Based on that I am inferring that there has been a lot of correspondence (email maybe) between the DA and the NBLL president or delegate to support this request.

Side note: why do they have 24 members on the BoD, that seems like way too many.  I wonder if this in itself is to get as many coaches/managers on the BoD as possible in order to serve specific needs, wants, desires. My first guess is they are catering to travel teams, all star teams etc. but what do I know.

To a certain degree "IF" I'm right it sounds a lot like the local LL where I reside although the BoD number is 1/2 the number of NBLL

I take it, insurance is cut off the moment the charter is placed on hold.

#4 Guest_Adam Timmer_*

Guest_Adam Timmer_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

So, it sounds like since the majority of the board members are managers/coaches they are passing local rules/regs that are in their best interest and not in the best interest of all of the players.
Not sure what exactly those problems are but I can take a wild guess !!!

I'm having a difficult time imagining the local rules/regs that would send up a red flag on a league. Help me out, what could some of these be? (I'm mean for leagues in general, not necessarily NBLL)

#5 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

Possibilities:

Official travel team.

"Potential" all-stars loaded onto one regular season team.

Dropping 12's to minors.

MPR violations not done properly.

Reducing MPR.

Revising pitching rules the wrong direction.

Pre-assigning coaches to teams before child drafted.

President coaching all-stars.

Not doing background checks on all personnel that meet the criteria. 

#6 Manny

Manny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:08 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a regional HQ doesn't have the authority to suspend a league's charter, does it?  I always believed that something that drastic had to go all the way to Williamsport.

Just reading between the lines, there was a lot more to this than the make-up of the BOD.  If their local rules are as bad as Rich mentioned, then this league needs to do much more than have a few managers and coaches resign from the board.

Manny Aponte

#7 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:32 PM

Only Williamsport (Charter Committee) can pull a Charter.
Normally a Region "recommends" the Charter be pulled and Williamsport makes the final decision.
Williamsport notifies the Region, the Region notifies the District Administrator and the District Administrator notifies the league.
I'm sure the Region checked with Williamsport before "suspending" the Charter.

Take a look at:
http://www.ocregiste...ttle-beach.html

Based on the wording of the article on the Charter being re-instated, looks like there may have been issues with "replacement players" and "division paperwork" (they are split into American and National divisions) as well as the majority of mangers/coaches on the BOD.

Anyway, the important thing is they got it resolved and the kids can go back to playing ball!

#8 stan.staziak

stan.staziak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Locationsterling, va

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:14 PM

my gut feel is that there is a lot more going on in this league.  Whether it rears its ugly head again who knows, only time will tell.  But there still has to be more to this than whats been stated.

#9 Mike_Hirschman

Mike_Hirschman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,322 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:15 PM

Yeah, Lou.... I saw that. There was also a mention of a boundary issue in one story.

Sounds like the DA was trying to make change and the BOD kept bucking back. So, she did the easiest thing, which was to call out the BOD for having an illegal makeup once the regular season began (when the BOD members officially became coaches). Now, the board is out of compliance, so we'll hold your insurance until you are ready to start talking. 

The hold would have come from HQ. Region would likely inform. Media never gets it right... and in this case, never even tried to call Williamsport.  

Irony is that it sounds like the league decided to play a game of Chicken... and HQ didn't blink. 

#10 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:21 PM

The minority of managers/coaches on the BOD has always been a pet peeve of mine.
When the BOD is elected you know how many members there are.
So, when the president appoints and the BOD approves managers and coaches why isn't this tracked?
For example, their BOD has 24 members, so once 11 BOD members were appointed/approved as managers/coaches why didn't they stop, why did they appoint/approve 3 more?

When I was president, I always made sure the number of managers/coaches were a minority of the board members.
It ain't rocket science!

That said, there were apparently more problems than just the BOD make-up.

#11 B_Hanlon

B_Hanlon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 623 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:35 PM

I would say that the odds are that a DA would never pick up on this (BOD's to Coaches Ratio) on their own. Someone inside the league must have dropped a dime forcing the DA to request the league brings itself into compliance.   

#12 stan.staziak

stan.staziak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Locationsterling, va

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:07 AM

Is the BoD to coach ratio just for majors or for all divisions down to T-Ball?

Is it just managers or does it include "official" coaches? again at all levels or just majors

#13 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:42 AM

The requirement is for ALL rostered (official) managers and coaches (Tee-Ball through Big League), not just those in majors.
The number of managers and coaches on the BOD cannot "exceed a minority" of the members of the BOD.
Fifty (50) percent exceeds a minority.

Examples:
If you have 10 BOD members you can have a maximum of 4 managers/coaches (5 (50.00%) would exceed a minority)
If you have 15 BOD members you can have a maximum of 7 managers/coaches (8 (53.33%) would exceed a minority)

In the case of Newport Beach, they have 24 BOD members so they can have a maximum of 11 managers/coaches on the BOD (12 would be 50% which exceeds a minority). They had 14, which is 58.33%.
  • Drquino likes this

#14 B_Hanlon

B_Hanlon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 623 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:00 PM

I'm thinking if I was the President of a league with 24 board members I'd be the first to drop a dime on my league :)  

How could you ever get anything done?

#15 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,317 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:17 AM

^^Thank you...11 is a counterproductive number IMO.

#16 B_Hanlon

B_Hanlon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 623 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:58 AM

As suspected more to the story comes out.....

• "Multiple Factors"
  •  BOD Member introduces idea of players staying home so teams can play with smaller rosters.
  •  Player misses more than a week of practice due to injury and they state LL requires he be released

http://www.dailypilo...0,2651157.story

#17 Guest_4DKids_*

Guest_4DKids_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:11 PM

At least they "invited players to stay home so teams could play with smaller rosters."

My league voted to roster no more than 11 players per team in ANY division.

#18 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:35 PM

B_Hanlon: "BOD Member introduces idea of players staying home so teams can play with smaller rosters."
So what, I've heard a lot of wild proposals in BOD Meetings, unless this got Approved by their BOD it's nothing (in my opinion)!

Guest_4DKids_: "My league voted to roster no more than 11 players per team in ANY division."
So, how did that Waiver request go?
Since this sounds like something managers normally want, I guess I should ask you if the number of managers and coaches on your BOD exceed a minority? ;o)

#19 Mike_Hirschman

Mike_Hirschman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,322 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:38 PM

Yep.... that was my point. If a DA knows there is something wrong going on and can't get at the large issue right away, get after them for a ticky-tack and the door opens. Been down that road before (as a district staffer).

(Lou beat me to this... PS: Rosters of less than 12 in majors is illegal without a waiver. )

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Little League, little league board

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users