4 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,334 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:20 AM

We never do anything for the young ladies in my league for fallball, one or two might signup for baseball but that's about it. This year we have a manager who has been working with a few girls the past weekends even though they're no longer in the All-Star tournament.
I've been looking for a LL fallball softball team for the girls to play when fallball starts and I think I might have one, maybe two. I would still need to find a few more girls from my league to build our team but I believe I'll have no problem finding them.
My fear is I'm going to build this team and get them some cheap uniforms and have nobody to play.

My question is, what's stopping me from having an all girl baseball team that also plays softball.
There is no draft rules and girls can play baseball.

#2 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,070 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:07 PM

Having girls dual roster in both baseball and softball is allowed in majors and above.
Tricky part might be different age cut-off dates!

Nothing wrong with forming an all girls baseball team for fall ball although pitching might be a problem.
Not sure if playing baseball would be detrimental to a softball player (pitching - batting differences).

#3 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:56 PM

I've seen a girl play baseball up till 8th grade, she was an AllStar baseball player but struggled hitting when she went to school softball....The HS coach encourages girls to play fallball baseball. This might only be for a two or three games aginst our leagues boys...just for fun. Just wanted to make sure I understand the rules right for insurance reasons.

I just got off the phone with a local league that I was holding out hope for a fall ball softball team, it's a no go on their end.

#4 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:57 AM

There's no way to get the boys playing softball against the girls or even coed teams, correct?

Major softball is girls only.
I've heard there is LL boys softball, is it boys only or can girls play boys softball?

#5 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,070 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:00 PM

Little League has girl softball and boys softball, girls cannot play with or against boys in softball.

A number of years ago (~2000?) a "girls" Senior Softball team from our District played in the World Series and there was a team from Arizona that has 4-5 boys on it.
The boys played "rougher" than the girls and a few girls were hurt during some of their games.
In the U.S. Championship game, the girl team refused to play against the girl/boy team.
The following year Little League formed Boys Softball.

I do not know of any leagues that have Boys Softball.
  • Jeremy likes this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users