25 replies to this topic

#21 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,089 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 08 July 2017 - 11:42 PM

Generally Williamsport is pretty strict on combinatons for major BB (10-12).
Might be difficult to get approval for two 3 team leagues to combine.
I know of a request to combine two 2 team leagues that was denied.

Generally it's much easier to get combinations approved in the other divisions, especially in softball.

#22 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 09 July 2017 - 12:54 AM

A three team league that burns most of their 12's in 50/70 and uses their stud 11's for the 9/10/11 can have a legitimate need to combine in some people's eyes.

With the new three year age range for each tournament, new rules for dual rostering and growing popularity of the 9/10/11 tournament ( in my area) it gives each league a lot more flexibility in how they build their teams and also a choice in what team gets priority and gets built first.
Us old school people will always think 10/11/12 should be the priority team but many leagues are moving away from the allure of the LLWS dream.

#23 Guest_Scott_*

Guest_Scott_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:00 PM

Does anyone have a thought or opinion on the percentages of your major players who should make an all-star team?

I have a very successful league with 2 charters that over the 10 years seen huge reduction in numbers. At one point we have 10 major teams in each charter. We are now at 3 and 4...prior to me coming on board there was an attempt to combine charter and make one league and it was shot down.

Last year we played our regular season as combined teams but then split for all-stars. So 72 of the 84 boys made All-stars...

We are planning combined again for regular season but this time we want to do it for allstars too.

Any time I ask around, all I hear is your league is successful it will get shot down.
Now as a whole we are successful but it is only one of the charters that is constantly competing for a district title, the other is either 2 and out or 3 and out.

Any suggestions or thoughts.
Thanks

#24 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:58 PM

My two cents: You should submit a request to field a combined allstar team.  With well under 10 total teams across two leagues, it would be very fair to allow a combined team.  It could be denied but you can try.   For reference, our league is relatively large and our request to combine was  turned down when we had 5+5 teams.  

In terms of percentage of players in Allstars - I'd like to see about 30%-40%  of the players recognized as Allstars.     That's just personal preference.

#25 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,089 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:57 AM

Scott - you said you had 7 major teams (3+4).
With 12 on each team that's 84 players.

72 All Stars is 6 teams of 12 (2 each for 8-10, 9-11 and 10-12).

You said 72 of the 84 made All Stars.

Does that mean no minor players made All Stars/all your All Stars came from majors?

===================
I think your league needs to ask to combine into one 7 major team league/Division.
In my opinion, having to have to split into a 3 team and a 4 team league/division is crazy.
That said, LL does some crazy things !!! :)

#26 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:48 AM

Back to the original post, it would be good if there were some general guidelines. It doesn't seem to be evenly administrated.

We have three charters, with last year Majors having 16 players in one, 20 in another and 61 in the third.

We are now allowed to play the smaller two together, but not to just combine the charters.

Two leagues in our district, each with several Majors teams, are merging.

I think there should be some flexibility, and situations vary, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency.

I know we have had teams were every player who wanted to be on the All-Stars was taken. (not that that is a bad thing, unless winning is all you care about), but it does show the situation.

Even worse, last year we didn't even have enough players to make two of the All Star teams of the six (three age groups) we could have.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users