2 replies to this topic

#1 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:58 AM

I was at another game, but received a call from the manager of a 10 (8-9) year old Tournament team. 

So I didn't see this but as I was told, tie score, last inning, runner on third (maybe other bases). Passed ball, catcher turns around, and sees two balls. He pauses, runner on third scores, (winning run).

Now seeing this might provide more info, but that's what I have at the moment. Manager wanted dead ball call or something. Sound to me like tough luck.

I was thinking the catcher should have grabbed the either ball and made a play, but what if he grabs the wrong ball?

Always something new. :)

#2 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:47 AM

I was at another game, but received a call from the manager of a 10 (8-9) year old Tournament team. 

So I didn't see this but as I was told, tie score, last inning, runner on third (maybe other bases). Passed ball, catcher turns around, and sees two balls. He pauses, runner on third scores, (winning run).

Now seeing this might provide more info, but that's what I have at the moment. Manager wanted dead ball call or something. Sound to me like tough luck.

I was thinking the catcher should have grabbed the either ball and made a play, but what if he grabs the wrong ball?

Always something new. :)

Facetious answer: If he turned around so slowly that the live ball stopped moving then the run would have scored anyhow.

How did they get that far into the inning and not notice it?

9.01(c ) - do what you think is right.

• rsnyder6 likes this

#3 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:55 AM

Facetious answer: If he turned around so slowly that the live ball stopped moving then the run would have scored anyhow.

How did they get that far into the inning and not notice it?

9.01(c ) - do what you think is right.

That was my question. Seems to me you would go for the moving ball, but if both balls are stopped, it was likely going to be too late.

when I get all the details, I expect the ruling will be the runner would have been safe anyway.

This team has had two incidents in two games. Yesterday the other team's coach tried to call time in the middle of the pitcher's motion, (and started walking to the batter). The umpire did not grant it, but the kids being 10 stopped. Coach got a chewing out.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users