#1 mwdenslow

mwdenslow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:11 PM

Hi All,

11s All Star baseball.
We have a player that broke his nose and required surgery.
He will need to wear nose protection at all times to avoid breaking his nose again while it heals.
This will be the full length of the tournament season.

Here are my questions. I should add that I did look at the rule book, but did not find anything specific to this. I am trying to be prepared as we go into our first games.

1. He has attached a cage/face guard to his batting helmet. Are there any special rules or requirements that we should be aware of?

2. When he is playing the field, he will wear a nose guard. We are still experimenting with this, but it will likely be the type that has 5 straps and goes across his cheeks and forehead. Are there any special rules or requirements that we should be aware of when he plays the field?

3. He will almost certainly pitch during the tournament. Are there any special rules or requirements specific to pitching that we should be aware of? This is the one I am most worried could create some controversy.

Thank you,
Michael

#2 coach andy

coach andy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:02 AM

You might want to look at a softball fielders style mask instead, probably more comfortable.
Just make certain ball cannot get in between the bars.

#3 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,066 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:09 AM

Assuming he missed some time/games due to his surgery he should have a medical release from his doctor releasing him to return to playing BB.
Doctor might have even suggested a nose/face guard/shield?

Helmet with cage/face mask should not be an issue.
Facemask on defense is probably OK too.
Might be a problem pitching if the other team claims it's a distraction to their batters.

Just my opinion.

#4 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,334 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:19 AM

What is the different wording in the rules that would make a face mask ok for softball pitchers but not baseball..?...I just looked at one of my daughters three different style mask and a baseball could fit through the mask.

#5 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:55 AM

Assuming he missed some time/games due to his surgery he should have a medical release from his doctor releasing him to return to playing BB.
Doctor might have even suggested a nose/face guard/shield?

Helmet with cage/face mask should not be an issue.
Facemask on defense is probably OK too.
Might be a problem pitching if the other team claims it's a distraction to their batters.

Just my opinion.

They claim - you decide.

Decision is "get a life coach"

Should be able to wear a batting helmet with face guard.

#6 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,066 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:07 PM

I said "might be a problem" - it's up to the Umpire to decide but he/she could agree that it's distracting at which point it could not be worn while pitching.

I agree that the best thing to wear might be a softball fielders mask.

#7 mwdenslow

mwdenslow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:51 PM

Thanks all.
As I suspected #3, pitching with the nose guard, is a potential issue.
Your comments reminded me of the following:

1.11 (a) (3) says ... NOTE: A pitcher shall not wear any item on his/her hands, wrists, or arms which may be distracting to the batter...

Taken literally, I would say that it doesn't apply to a nose guard.

As Lou pointed out, the player in question does have a doctor's note.
If you were in my position would you show it when the other Manager complains or bring it up with the umpire at the start of the game?

#8 B_Hanlon

B_Hanlon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 623 posts
  • LocationPomfret Center, CT

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:32 PM

I would ask your DA to ask the local Region for a ruling on it, if you have a picture of what you have picked out send the picture to them.
If he might be pitching give them that information as well.

All intentions could be good, but come game time if an umpire is stumped he might make a ruling that is incorrect.
Hand him an email from the region and its covered.
  • rsnyder6 likes this

#9 mwdenslow

mwdenslow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:20 AM

Sounds good.
Thanks for all the help.

#10 Guest_CWD_*

Guest_CWD_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:54 PM

If the player is comfortable in the batting helmet with the cage it can be worn in the field on defense.
In fact, 1.16 states ... Use of a helmet by... any defensive player is optional.
This would include a pitcher as a defensive player provided it meets NOCSAE specifications & standards and is non-glare.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users