#1 wem1472

wem1472

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:49 AM

What is the correct call:

Runner on 1st and 2nd:

Ball hit in play. The SS throws to third and the ball goes out of play (rolls out the gate opening for 3rd base dugout that was left open). The umpire stops the play - one run scored. the runner that is now on second base stays there and the runner that hit the ball is now 4/5ths of the way to 2nd. the umpire tells each of the base runners to advance one base, and that we should have runners on 2nd and 3rd (which I read in rule book is wrong - each should have been awarded two bases). Now the kid on second stayed on second and the runner behind him (4/5ths of the way to second) passed him and occupied 3rd base. Play resumed.

After the next hit, the runners on 2nd and 3rd scored, and then following two more hits another run scored and that was 5 in the inning so we stopped the inning. During the team change from hitting to fielding the book keeper of the other team comes on the field and says we batted out of order, which never happened and we explained that the runners got switched during the umpire awarding bases and no one noticed it.

We decided to leave everything as scored, but no one really knew what to do.

What should have been the correct call? More importantly, can a coach or book keeper complain about something like this or dispute something that happens during an inning AFTER the inning has ended? Can the umpire intervene and change the results or score once the inning has ended? Are there any rules about this base running situation? I could not find anything in the Little League rule book. I know if a runner passes a runner in front of him he is out but this pass was based on an umpire awarding bases after declaring a dead ball.

Thank you!

#2 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:50 AM

Grounder to short and the short stop threw the ball out of play.
Since this was the first play by an infielder the award is two bases for the batter and runners from where they were at the time of the pitch.
So, R2 scores, R1 goes to third and the batter gets second.

It's the umpires responsibility to make sure the runners on second and third are correct.
If/when discovered this would be a "fix-it" situation.

Since it didn't get corrected before both runners scored it is what it is (in my opinion).
After the game is way too late to do anything about it.

Sounds like it was a minor's game so use it as a teaching situation for everyone!!!

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:35 AM

"More importantly, can a coach or book keeper complain about something like this or dispute something that happens during an inning AFTER the inning has ended? Can the umpire intervene and change the results or score once the inning has ended?" 

In a nutshell, NO...Once the defense has left the field, no appeal can be made. And even if an appeal was made before the defense left the field, there could not be a change to a play that happened more than one batter prior to the appeal.

This is my understanding. I'll ask the experts on board to please confirm.

#4 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,322 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 23 June 2017 - 04:07 AM

You have to call Batting Out of Turn before the first pitch to the next batter.....The official book should say nothing and be unbiased....If the team book keeper is a parent sitting out of the dugout they are nothing in this equation, they can yell what they want but people on the field can't ask them questions.

#5 Mike_Hirschman

Mike_Hirschman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,325 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:29 PM

You would not have a Batting Out Of Turn situation.
The umpire fubared it and would/could correct it.
But once the inning is over, there isn't much anyone can do about it.

#6 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:36 PM

My opinion is these Managers and Coaches need to pay attention more.
I've been with many Coaches and Managers that keep track of absolutely NOTHING.
Then when something weird like this happens they are the people trying to convince someone that their opinion matters when they have nothing based on fact in their possession.

It is not ALL up to the umpire to prevent these things from happening.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users