is this a balk

5 replies to this topic

#1 jfhurricane

jfhurricane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:23 PM

We had our last tournament affidavit and rules meeting last night.  We have one coach who trys to let the staff and umpires know he knows the rules better than all of us.  So last night he didn't have a question he was just informing the UIC that this particular situation was a balk.  With runner on first pitcher takes mound and has one foot on rubber and one foot in front of rubber.  He is bent over at the waist taking his signs.  His free hand is just hanging down next to or in front of him but it is not perfectly still.  There is a slight hint of swinging motion with his free arm.  This coach wants a balk called every time.  He says that his free hand/arm has to remain perfectly still.  I have never called that a balk nor have I had anyone suggest to me to call that a balk.  He said if we don't call that a balk he will be protesting it everytime.  I just wanted some feedback on what everyone thinks of this scenerio.  Thanks

Jason

#2 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:34 PM

I don't believe LL has anything specific about the free arm (OBR doesn't) during the stretch position. It's up to the umpire's judgment to determine whether the arm movement is deceptive or not. Not something that can be protested. Guess he doesn't know the rules as well as he thought.

#3 Mike_Hirschman

Mike_Hirschman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,325 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:58 PM

Not until he starts to come up with a motion towards his set would I balk him more than likely. Obviously have to see it. But it has to be a motion that is related to the delivery that starts and stops. If he is bent over and the arm is dangling, you have nothing. When he starts to "stand upward", he is making a motion more related towards coming to a set position. 

And he can protest if he would like, but he better find a good way to describe it rulebook terminology when he asks for that phone call. Otherwise, he would be protesting the umpire's judgment. 

• amutz and rsnyder6 like this

#4 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:12 PM

It is a balk in high school rules.  But not anywhere else. 

There are so many differences among the various rule sets that there's a 300 page book covering them  "Baseball Rules Differences"  if you want to look for a copy. 

#5 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:35 AM

A Mets relief pitcher from the '90s used to do that. (Jerry Dipoto maybe?) I think other MLB pitchers do.

We have a high school pitcher that lets the arm hang, but it seems mostly still. I've not seen it questioned.

#6 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 21 June 2017 - 04:22 PM

A Mets relief pitcher from the '90s used to do that. (Jerry Dipoto maybe?) I think other MLB pitchers do.

We have a high school pitcher that lets the arm hang, but it seems mostly still. I've not seen it questioned.

In FED you Can let it hang but only if there's no movement

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users