17 replies to this topic

#1 Packerbacker

Packerbacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:56 PM

All-Star game on a hot muggy day. Umpire stops a manager from discussions with a spectator.
Turns out that the spectator is the father of a player who has been saying that he is feeling weak and a little nauseated.
After complaining a bit to the umpire, the manager asks
(1) can he continue his discussions with the father?
(2) how can he substitute for the subject player given that he has no valid substitutions left? and
(3) could the player after being substituted for possibly later be reinserted into the lineup if he subsequently reports feeling better (and presumably if the father concurs)?

Umpire says (1) No, (2) opposing manager chooses the substitute, and (3) Yes, but why would anyone choose to take the risk.

#2 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:29 PM

Wrong on 1 because the father is not a spectator at this juncture.

Right on 2 and 3.

#3 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,066 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:37 PM

Player Safety is priority one.
This kind of thing happens all the time in Florida.
Take a few minutes to let the manager and parent figure out the situation and go from there.

So:
Yes
Opposing manager chooses the sub
Player can return if/when feeling better

#4 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,334 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:53 PM

AllStars last night....Games moved back an hour for heat, first inning manager brings pitcher water, second inning water again, third inning no water but did a circle visit, fourth inning water again....The ump didn't call for the water breaks so in my book that's four mound visits....am I heartless?.....I was only a spectator so I sat in silence, I might have yelled fourth mound visit if we were trailing but we were just about to 10 run them.....No 2 & BBQ for us this year!

#5 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:02 PM

AllStars last night....Games moved back an hour for heat, first inning manager brings pitcher water, second inning water again, third inning no water but did a circle visit, fourth inning water again....The ump didn't call for the water breaks so in my book that's four mound visits....am I heartless?.....I was only a spectator so I sat in silence, I might have yelled fourth mound visit if we were trailing but we were just about to 10 run them.....No 2 & BBQ for us this year!

Yes

Any more questions?

• Jeremy likes this

#6 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:56 PM

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

Players should drink while they are offense/in the dugout.

That said, as I said before, Player Safety is priority one so I'm giving the manager a little leeway on bringing water out to the pitcher.

#7 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 08:12 PM

My daughter didn't need a water break last night and I can't remember her ever taking one without getting the three outs....By the fourth inning it was 9PM, sun set, light breeze.....I understand bodies need to acclimatize to the quick change in temps this time of year but we live in a place where we have 110+ degree days for a week straight a few times a year....This stems from regular season when the temps are just starting to get in the low 80's and kids were acting like they're melting, water breaks were getting out of hand.....I have umped a game were a base runner fainted from heat and dehydration, even sat in the ER with her because her parents weren't around...I've been a safty officer and was the biggest advocate to get the AED at our fields, safty comes first.....So in this situation ALWAYS error on the side of caution?...Last night she would take her water break and then the manager talked for about 10 seconds, just a coincidence that these water breaks only came after the team got rattled by the last batter.

#8 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:01 PM

They're 11-12.
No earth shattering event would result from an un-charged visit.
  • rsnyder6 likes this

#9 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:51 AM

Here is HEARTLESS.

Tonight's major AllStars...We drive an hour plus to a game, a young lady was having a lady issue and wasn't able to wear white pants, didn't wear white pants last night either....anyways long story short, top of second the other manager comes out and said she wasn't in uniform with her team all in white pants, umps and other manager are told why she was in black.....She was told to change pants or leave the game, no one had a pair for her to wear...mom gets ejected, kid is crying.....IMO manager should have protested, but he didn't know the tournment protest process.

After the game ump yells at our parents who were still running their mouths, that it wasn't their call, that they had to enforce it because the other manager called them on it.

#10 OutdoorDad

OutdoorDad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:27 PM

No need to send anyone on that team an email about evaluations for next season.

Heartless and shameful.

#11 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:33 PM

The ump really has no choice once there was a complaint.

The two idiots are the managers.
The first for complaining and the second for not knowing the protest rules.

Pretty sure WP would have ruled to let her play.

#12 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:31 PM

The ump really has no choice once there was a complaint.

The two idiots are the managers.
The first for complaining and the second for not knowing the protest rules.

Pretty sure WP would have ruled to let her play.

Tournament rules allow regular season uniforms. Thus they do not all have to be alike.  

And the umpire could have said "get a life coach" and let her play. Or maybe "too late coach, should have mentioned it before the game started".  He DID have a choice.

#13 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:10 PM

Yes, you can wear regular season uniforms in All Stars.
We're all the girls wearing regular season uniforms or did they ever one have all star jerseys and white pants except for this girl?

Nothing in the rules say you have to protest uniforms before the game.
Maybe the ump should have said No and then the manager could have protested all the way up the chain, which is what the other manager should have done.

#14 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:09 PM

I'm guessing some local rule about dressing the same. We want the players to dress the same also, (mostly so we don't have the cool kids and the rest), but it clearly shouldn't be the top priority in Little League. There are other things that trump such a requirement. (Like common decency.)

We are in playoffs, and I will make kids change their pants tonight if they are not wearing matching ones, but before the game, and we have a room with bins of extra ones. 

#15 B_Hanlon

B_Hanlon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 623 posts
  • LocationPomfret Center, CT

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:02 PM

Waterbreaks should be encouraged for F! and F2 on hot days. Discuss at the plate conference and tell the managers it will be handled like an injury visit. No discussion of strategy or anything other then the players well being, Hustle out, hustle back in.

• rsnyder6 likes this

#16 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:42 PM

Yes, you can wear regular season uniforms in All Stars.
We're all the girls wearing regular season uniforms or did they ever one have all star jerseys and white pants except for this girl? Where does it say that matters?  The point is that they do not have to match.

Nothing in the rules say you have to protest uniforms before the game. It's the top of the second - she already appeared at the game once it started - doesn't matter whether field or bench  - she was there.  Sorry Charlie - you let it go at first - defacto acceptance - too late now.
Maybe the ump should have said No and then the manager could have protested all the way up the chain, which is what the other manager should have done. Maybe the ump should visit his proctologist to see if he can find his head.

#17 Jamief

Jamief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:17 PM

Was the opposing manager looking to get the kid removed before she met MPR?

That's pretty shady. We've had umpires go over board when kids forgot ball caps in the 9/10 BB tourney and that same ump put up a stink when our SB team showed up with matching shorts except for my daughter, the pitcher, and catcher.

Both didn't feel comfortable in shorts so I wasn't going to make them play in shorts.

Colors did match but were different styles.

#18 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:04 AM

We got the win tonight...DA and TD both apologized and let us know if we would have protested it would have been successful....Manager learned something and the girl got the defensive player of the game, it wasn't a pity game ball, she earned it!

I still want to call the President of the league we played to let him know how low his manager is willing to go.....Karma got me for thinking about the circle visit/water breaks....Sun gave me a nasty headache two nights ago.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users