Jump to content


Photo

Thoughts


2 replies to this topic

#1 coach andy

coach andy

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:20 PM

I am AC in minors softball for our league this year,  I was a Manager last two years, so I know most of the girls in the division (3 teams).  Armed with this knowledge, and after discussions with Manager who was selected (actually no other manager in division wanted it) for 10/9/8 AS (he asked me at a BOD meeting what I thought of the girls on the team I am AC for besides my daughter and one other girl) I am pretty much assuming my daughter will make AS (in our league, division managers vote for 12, top 10 + 2 manager picks make team) (I know, should not assume this, but it is 99% safe, of course I keep that to myself).

 

couple of days ago, I sent email to AS Manager when he was going to start collecting paperwork, as I know there was a district meeting coming up where they were going to be signing off on AS paperwork.

 

He comes back that team is not finalized yet, but that he does not think we should/will field a team, as two players from his team (good players, the one probably best player in the division) are not available for for districts, and the one is not available for anything.  and also, he and some of his players will have a weekend obligation around the time of sectionals (all our districts and sectionals are scheduled for weeknights, but weather is always a factor).  He indicated we should not fill a team just to fill a team (we have a lot of 8s and 7s in minors, as we have no coach pitch softball) if the talent level does not warrant it. (we did both agree, if we do not field a team, we at least name one).

 

I had initially agreed with him, but on rereading and discussing with better half, I sent back another message saying we should.  We have a 10 coming down from majors, and I think we could have a half decent team with the rest of the division.  I would put all but the ones who definitely cannot make any districts or sectionals on affidavit, so we always have enough.

 

I believe that the league has already sent check in for districts, not certain if we would get money back at this point.  and as there is only one other team in district fielding 10/9/8 team, this would hand districts to that other team.  

 

who would make this decision?  if he decides he does not want it/cannot do it, I will step up to manage if need be (is this allowed?) for districts, and worry about sectionals if/when that time comes.



#2 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

    Advanced Member

  • Moderators
  • 2,863 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:02 PM

It's 8-10s, I'd field a team even if it was just to give the players the opportunity to play All Stars.
You were a minors coach during the season so you would be eligible to manage the All Star team.
Final decision is up to the BOD (sounds like they already had decided to field a team).

#3 coach andy

coach andy

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:26 PM

BOD did decide to field a team, but decision was made about 6 weeks ago (basically Pres asks division reps what AS teams we will field).

Will push for them to play.
I am all for the more playing time they get the better they will be.



Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users