30 replies to this topic

#21 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:49 AM

So combined charter has ruined the Jr softball tournament in my district, I've complained on here a few times before.....They spend a good 10 minutes EVERY Presidents meeting bragging and telling stories about going to the LLWS last year with that team, I've heard every story multiple times.....Don't even think of saying something negative or questioning methods used, all you'll get is "we'll let the four leagues in your county combine too"...They really don't care about how many kids are being robbed of the experience of being AllStars. I think 13 & 14 year olds could use something to do over the first few weeks of summer more than the younger kids, in my town you keep kids busy or they find trouble.

Today the Jr Baseball bracket came out and I see three leagues that have never had a problem fielding quality Jr baseball tournament teams have now combined.....IMO it's not out of necessity and solely being done to advance....never was a word of this team brought up at a meeting.

Is there anything the Presidents can do to stop this?...If it was being done out of necessity I would be all for it...Obviously it's to late this year but my daughter will be LA 13 next year and in 8th grade, when she is 14 in 9th the only reason to even sign up for LL is for tournament play....I'll field a single charter team both years even if we get 10 run ruled in the 5th each game.

#22 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,089 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:03 PM

"Is there anything the Presidents can do to stop this?"

Sure, don't request/agree to Combine !!!

It comes down to what is more important to a league, giving 12-13 of its players the opportunity to play All Star or giving that opportunity to only a few of its players to Combine with another league or two to make a possible run at a title.

#23 Mike_Hirschman

Mike_Hirschman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,325 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:05 PM

Jeremy.... that falls on your DA's head.
He doesn't have to sign the form.
He can block it.
That's one of the few veto powers a DA has.
If he feels the process is being abused, he should not sign it and report it to the Regional Director so that they understand why he is not approving it.

#24 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:49 PM

I feel the DA is encouraging leagues to combine, I think he thinks it's a sign of being a good DA to have teams advance far in tournament play from his district.
Like I said, we have to hear stories every meeting about the trip to the Jr Softball LLWS he took last year.

#25 Mike_Hirschman

Mike_Hirschman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:13 PM

We were at the same World Series last year.
We heard about them...

#26 B_Hanlon

B_Hanlon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 623 posts
  • LocationPomfret Center, CT

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:07 PM

Until there are guidelines or ratios established by Little League I'm not sure it's fair to blame the DA.
If the combined three leagues have 3 or 4 teams each they are combining the request seems fair.
If the combined three leagues have six teams each that's another issue.

#27 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:20 PM

The final decision on the Combination is not made by the DA.
The blame belongs further up the chain!

Maybe some one should have called the Region to complain before the Combination was approved !!! ;o)

#28 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:34 AM

It just seems that this is not decided evenly in districts around the country.

We have multiple charters, and have not been able to field a Tournament team at each level for a couple years. (If you have 5 or 9  12 year olds in a charter, how do you put a team together?) Yet we have been told we merge because of population.

#29 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:41 AM

I can't complain before they are approved if I don't know they're trying to combine till after the fact....I havn't missed any District meetings.

Just found out a new case of combining today.....One league used up all their stud 12 year olds in 50/70, they have a good group of 11 year olds so they built a team to win the 9-11 tournament and combined for the 10-12 team with a much smaller (had two major regular season teams) league next to them.

I'm not so sure the flexibility that leagues have is a good thing and not sure how big combining is in other Districts but it seems to be getting out of hand around me.....Both my older daughters played AllStars 9-14 and we never ran into a combined team, now I see them on every bracket.

#30 Mike_Hirschman

Mike_Hirschman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:19 PM

The final decision on the Combination is not made by the DA.
The blame belongs further up the chain!

Maybe some one should have called the Region to complain before the Combination was approved !!! ;o)

Lou... if the DA doesn't approve it, it doesn't move up the chain. 

Trying to teach a rookie DA once upon a time, I said "this is the one piece you can actually control. You can't deny a waiver, only recommend. But you do control Interleague and Combined Play requests. 

To Jeremy's point, there is no question that combining is beginning to get abused in the name of "participation". 

#31 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:08 PM

Mike, my point was, the final decision on Combining is made above the DA level.
I know of a lot Combinations that were approved (requested by) the DA that got Rejected.
Yes, the DA could stop it in its track early but if he/she doesn't ultimately someone higher up makes the final decision.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users