Photo

Background checks - anyone use a good online process?

16 replies to this topic

#1 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:20 PM

How does your league make the background check for volunteers a fast/easy process?
We wind up spending a lot of time chasing down volunteers to complete forms and then a lot more time processing them.

Anyone use a good online process which LL accepts?

#2 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:01 PM

How does your league make the background check for volunteers a fast/easy process?
We wind up spending a lot of time chasing down volunteers to complete forms and then a lot more time processing them.

Anyone use a good online process which LL accepts?

Not your job to chase down forms.
Tell them they can't coach/manage until their form is in and processed.
That'll get their attention.

As for looking them up, what's wrong with the free (Nexis?) system provided through LL?

#3 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:35 PM

Not your job to chase down forms.
Tell them they can't coach/manage until their form is in and processed.
That'll get their attention.

As for looking them up, what's wrong with the free (Nexis?) system provided through LL?

Good comments Rich.  We do currently use the system LL provides.

In our upper levels there is little 'friction' in getting volunteers to submit forms.  

In the younger ages where getting our volunteers engaged is harder, it takes a lot more chasing.  Volunteers are not jumping up and down to participate and they are slow to fill and return the paper forms, which then need to be processed.

With over 200 total volunteers to track and process,  background checking has become a big job.  If we can streamline it we can use our board volunteer hours better.   I am guessing some leagues have already got good solutions for this.

#4 Jamief

Jamief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 05:15 PM

Because LL requires SS numbers and signed forms we require forms to be handed in.

They can be scanned and emailed provided all the information is there. We still will print and maintain the hard copy. With our small league it isn't too bad. I think we only have about 50 to do and they come in waves.

Board members early, coaches at winter clinics, regular season managers, coaches and umpires ; volunteer parents that want to help at practices or step in when regular managers/coaches are away.

It's pretty well apread out over the course of a few months

#5 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,089 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 26 May 2017 - 05:16 PM

We get most of our Volunteer Forms filled out at Registration.
We ask anyone interested in managing, coaching, umpiring, being a team mom/dad, working concessions, field maintenance, etc, to check the applicable box(es) on the Registration Form and fill out a Volunteer Form.

Like Rich, we don't chase down forms.

We attach a Cover Sheet on each form that describes the background check and has 2-3 phone numbers to call to arrange dropping off the completed form.

#6 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:07 PM

We get most of our Volunteer Forms filled out at Registration.
We ask anyone interested in managing, coaching, umpiring, being a team mom/dad, working concessions, field maintenance, etc, to check the applicable box(es) on the Registration Form and fill out a Volunteer Form.

Like Rich, we don't chase down forms.

We attach a Cover Sheet on each form that describes the background check and has 2-3 phone numbers to call to arrange dropping off the completed form.

Given you don't chase down forms, what do you do when you have a volunteer but no form?
Do you pull the volunteer from her role or do you let it go?

#7 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:21 PM

"pull the volunteer from her role" - you can't let a person volunteer until you complete his/her background check.
No form, no background check, no volunteer.

No one gets appointed/approved to a Volunteer position until he/she successfully passes their Background Check.

#8 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:39 PM

"pull the volunteer from her role" - you can't let a person volunteer until you complete his/her background check.
No form, no background check, no volunteer.

No one gets appointed/approved to a Volunteer position until he/she successfully passes their Background Check.

That is the answer I would hope to see in action. 

#9 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:52 PM

It's LL Policy so it is the only answer. ;o)

Suppose you let someone volunteer "for a few weeks" while they fill-out/return the Volunteer Form.
Then you run the background check and find out they are a sexual preditor or convicted murderer, or ...

Can you spell LAWSUIT !!!

#10 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 26 May 2017 - 11:36 PM

Legal and moral responsibilities acknowledged, I raise the issue because our current process is cumbersome and error-prone and I am hoping to change it for our league.

Each volunteer must submit a paper form which has to be transcribed to an electronic form and then data uploaded.
There has to be a better way.
AYSO uses an electronic national online volunteer registration process.
I believe American Softball Association does same.

Anyone using an integrated electronic online process for background checks integrated into their registration system?

#11 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:20 PM

I thought there was a one time rule.
You can use a volunteer one time such as a pull a parent from the stands to ump but they can't do it a second time without a cleared background check.

#12 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:49 PM

You need to do a background check for anyone that provides regular service to the league and/or has repetitive access to or contact with the players or teams.

A parent pulled from the stands to umpire one time isn't repetitive.

Now, if you pull the same parent from the stands time after time, you'd better get a Volunteer Form and do a Background Check.

#13 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:36 PM

Why is it so cumbersome?

The person running the background checks just needs the person's name and DOB from their Volunteer Form.
Pretty quick and easy.

#14 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:20 PM

I'm seeing two points of friction:

1) getting the hardcopy form back; more work to print/complete/deliver

2) getting it completed with license scan; some parents concerned with delivering sensitive personal information

#15 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:28 PM

One thing I did this year that seemed to help is I uploaded the editable PDF (from LL's site) right on our website for people to fill out. All they had to do was type their info into the PDF and then save as and email it. No printing required.

Any new volunteers just scanned their license and also attached it.

#16 rsnyder6

rsnyder6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:51 AM

We walk around to the fields with the list of people with background checks and ask each adult involved with the kids who they are, and check if they are on the list.
If not they are removed.

Pretty much only takes one removal to make people submit for the rest of their time they volunteer.

Yea, a couple get pissy about breaking the rules, but no one will argue kids should be protected.

We do use photo IDs, but making sure everyone has them takes a while.

#17 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:14 PM

We walk around to the fields with the list of people with background checks and ask each adult involved with the kids who they are, and check if they are on the list.
If not they are removed.

Pretty much only takes one removal to make people submit for the rest of their time they volunteer.

Yea, a couple get pissy about breaking the rules, but no one will argue kids should be protected.

We do use photo IDs, but making sure everyone has them takes a while.

I think that's a great example of diligence.
Thanks for sharing.
Too many people (me included) go the extra mile.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users