10 replies to this topic

#1 coach andy

coach andy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:24 PM

majors softball, we only have two teams (I am division rep).  Managers are to vote on AS team, 12 votes each.  typically, in larger divisions (like on BB side), top 10 vote getters are named to team, and AS manager picks remaining two from any players receiving at least one vote.

with only two, we are most likely going to run into a situation where we have say 7 girls who each got two votes, and then 10 with only one vote each.  How do we decide the remainder of the 10 to start the AS roster?

will post what we decided at BOD meeting last night later (I sent out rosters to both coaches this morning asking them to have votes to me by Friday night, we need this done fast so we can prepare ballot for our minors managers, need to include any 10s from majors that were not selected for 12-11-10 AS team).

probably going to have similar situation in minors, only three teams, will be 3-4 girls with 3 votes, 3-4 with two, then a schlew of girls with one vote each.

#2 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,089 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:48 PM

First of all, how you select your All Star Teams should be described in your Local Rules BEFORE the season starts.
That way everyone knows how it is going to be done well before the voting takes place.
It eliminates these types of situations where, most likely, the Board will be accused of favoritism.

As for your scenario, I'd say the top vote getters (2 votes) are on the team and the All Star manager would select the remaining players (from those tied with 1 vote).

Another option would be to take the players tied with 1 vote and have the managers re-vote (5-6 votes each).

#3 coach andy

coach andy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:11 PM

First of all, how you select your All Star Teams should be described in your Local Rules BEFORE the season starts.
That way everyone knows how it is going to be done well before the voting takes place.
It eliminates these types of situations where, most likely, the Board will be accused of favoritism.

As for your scenario, I'd say the top vote getters (2 votes) are on the team and the All Star manager would select the remaining players (from those tied with 1 vote).

Another option would be to take the players tied with 1 vote and have the managers re-vote (5-6 votes each).

thanks for the feedback.

we do describe how we vote for AS in our by laws, just this particular scenario (ie only two teams) is not considered (might be topic for offseason, by laws in general are in desperate need to updating).  managers from the division vote, top 10 vote recipients are on team, AS manager then can select remaining players (taking more than 12 if he desires) from any players who received at least one vote.

we are basically having the managers revote on all the one vote recipients.  it is just hard, as all those one vote recipients got their one vote almost universally from their manager.

I had actually suggested letting the AS manager (who is an AC, not one of the two managers) get to 12 from all the one vote recipients, no one liked this, including AS manager.  funny thing is, 5 minutes prior, he had said we should allow him to have a vote as well.  rest of BOD did not like that, neither did I, since he was AC on one of the teams (2 voters associated with one team, only one from the other team).  basically letting him decide from the pool of 1 vote recipients would have amounted to his having a vote.

BTW, he seemed skeptical he will get the team he wants/feels will be competitive, not certain, we are small league, especially on SB side, both managers have managed for a few years, and most know all the girls pretty well at this point.

really hate the selection process with low numbers, gets so hard to keep it confidential, not a matter of people talking, but you can pretty much figure out who voted for who if you think about it for a while.

#4 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:19 PM

I like the All Star manager picking his or her team entirely (with input from the coaches/ managers if necessary) because it is their team ultimately. Your pool to choose from isn't big and if both teams are pretty equally skilled, then those last few players are probably about equal. I wouldn't mind seeing the AS choose the last few girls in this case.

#5 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:43 PM

Let the kids vote, believe it or not, they know who the better players are.
Top 9 or 10 make the team and the AS Manager gets to pick the rest.

Just a suggestion. ;o)

#6 amutz

amutz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:52 PM

Our league has the kids vote.
Top 6 picks are mandatory.
Managers usually go with #7-10 and pick the last couple.

#7 Jamief

Jamief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:07 PM

Over the past few years we've kicked around kid votes.
This season (2 majors team) we are having managers and coaches vote for 10.
AS manager picks last 2 or 3.

If there are ties then revote on the tied players.

#8 coach andy

coach andy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:22 PM

In the younger brackets, players voting is perilous. especially on girls side.  they do not necessarily know who the best players are, they generally do not pay attention to the performance of the opposition.  also, cliquey (sic), very much so, and you will not have the best team.  i think the girls at 8 and 9 will simply vote for their friends/who is popular.  managers have seen enough to know who the top three or four on each team are.  

I would like to see in situation where you have enough teams/managers, the managers vote, BUT not allowed to vote for anyone from their team.  obviously, with only two this is not possible.

#9 coach andy

coach andy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:03 PM

Ok, update, votes are tallied, and my problem is opposite of what I thought it would be. 11 girls got two votes, 2 got one vote each.
Voting is supposed to select ten, then AS manager picks last two from among those receiving votes but not in top ten.

I sent list to AS manager of the 11 receiving two votes, and the two receiving one, and asked him if he would accept the 11 and take only one manager pick (or take both if he wants to take 13).

What do you all think?

#10 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:09 PM

Top 11 are in.
No way should one of the 11 that got two votes not be on the team.

Personally I'd take the other 2 for a total of 13 just because MPR would then only be one at-bat which makes substitutions much easier.

If you are only taking 12 then the manager gets to pick one of the remaining 2 to fill the roster.

#11 coach andy

coach andy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 04:05 PM

Thanks Lou, that is how I felt.
I am pretty certain he will go with this, as for 12 vs 13, that is up to him.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users