22 replies to this topic

#1 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,084 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 14 May 2017 - 12:02 PM

Had our District Top Team Meeting yesterday.
We use Tournament Rules.
Since many (most) leagues have their Top Team managers as their All Star managers this gives them some experience with Tournament Rules.
Tournament starts this coming Saturday (May 20).
Tournament is over in time for leagues to get their All Stars named/practicing on June 1st.

#2 Jamief

Jamief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 01:52 PM

Now you're just rubbing it in.

We are 3 weeks into regular season play and most of my teams have only 3-4 games played 1 has only 1. We've had rainouts for 3 out of 4 weekends and rain during the week. On top of that it's the time of year for band concerts, awards nights and field trips.

A scheduling nightmare.

Back when they changed the date to June 1st I wasn't happy and this is exactly the reason why. The earliest out season can start is the last week of April. That leaves just over 6 weeks to play 12 games. Okay we can get the games scheduled. Add snow in mid April and rain every weekend since the beginning of the season and now here we are. Teams have 3 games played and 4 that need to be rescheduled along with their regularly scheduled games.

June 1st is out of the question. I'll be lucky if we finish regular season games by the affidavit night scheduled for June 8th. They are saying our Majors SB district tournament can start as soon as June 12th. We will still be playing regular season games.

We won't have time for a tryout. We can't determine eligibility until at least 12 games are played so we can't announce teams until last minute and once we do get everything complete for regular season we'll have barely 1 week to have tournament team practices.

Like everyone else out there our tournament team is no different. You have 3 shortstops, 3 catcher and 3 1st base and if you're lucky 3 pitchers. Takes time to get them used to playing centerfield when they didn't play it during regular season.

So now that I'm done ranting: how do we fix this? The regular season has been condensed so tightly because of the summer trounament schedules. In past years It was a struggle to finish by June 15th. Now it's June 1st!!

It's all about the district tournaments. Gotta get games in!! Let's play 4 games next week to make up for those rainouts. Let's schedule back to back DH next weekend!!

It's too much pressure for leagues it puts games ahead of player development. With that many games how do you find time or fields for that matter to practice on?

Put the dates back to where they were and give us northern folks more time.
  • rsnyder6 likes this

#3 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:54 PM

Not sure why the change to June 1 but it does put the cold weather areas at a disadvantage.
I remember what a pain it was getting in 12 games when I lived in Ma, Ct and upstate NY

#4 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:11 PM

Everyone broke the June 15th/two week rule and Little League flat out didn't care or do anything to stop it...
Everyone likes announcing names at closing ceremonies and that is always before the 15th in the leagues around me....
I was always against announcing names because it would bring tension to my TOC team, had kids quit TOCs because they didn't make All Stars.

#5 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:53 PM

How do you guys pick the Top Teams?

#6 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:42 PM

In my old league minors was a single elimination playoff.
Majors was first half vs second half winners.
Older divisions were regular season best W/L record.

#7 Mr. Dill

Mr. Dill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:52 PM

Now you're just rubbing it in.

We are 3 weeks into regular season play and most of my teams have only 3-4 games played 1 has only 1. We've had rainouts for 3 out of 4 weekends and rain during the week. On top of that it's the time of year for band concerts, awards nights and field trips.

A scheduling nightmare.

Back when they changed the date to June 1st I wasn't happy and this is exactly the reason why. The earliest out season can start is the last week of April. That leaves just over 6 weeks to play 12 games. Okay we can get the games scheduled. Add snow in mid April and rain every weekend since the beginning of the season and now here we are. Teams have 3 games played and 4 that need to be rescheduled along with their regularly scheduled games.

June 1st is out of the question. I'll be lucky if we finish regular season games by the affidavit night scheduled for June 8th. They are saying our Majors SB district tournament can start as soon as June 12th. We will still be playing regular season games.

We won't have time for a tryout. We can't determine eligibility until at least 12 games are played so we can't announce teams until last minute and once we do get everything complete for regular season we'll have barely 1 week to have tournament team practices.

Like everyone else out there our tournament team is no different. You have 3 shortstops, 3 catcher and 3 1st base and if you're lucky 3 pitchers. Takes time to get them used to playing centerfield when they didn't play it during regular season.

So now that I'm done ranting: how do we fix this? The regular season has been condensed so tightly because of the summer trounament schedules. In past years It was a struggle to finish by June 15th. Now it's June 1st!!

It's all about the district tournaments. Gotta get games in!! Let's play 4 games next week to make up for those rainouts. Let's schedule back to back DH next weekend!!

It's too much pressure for leagues it puts games ahead of player development. With that many games how do you find time or fields for that matter to practice on?

Put the dates back to where they were and give us northern folks more time.

The Tournament Team Affidavit says number of games played by first tournament game, doesn't say June 1, like it used to say games played by June 15

#8 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:25 AM

So, for example, our league's regular season ended last Saturday, so we can't announce or start practicing our All Star Teams until June 1.

Up north, a league might run their regular season through June 10th or maybe even the 17th.
They cannot announce their teams/start practice until their regular season is over.
Probably doesn't leave much practice time prior to The Tournament.

#9 Jamief

Jamief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:24 AM

Correct. Can't even tryout until eligibility is determined. We found out we need to have a major SB district champion decided by July 6th.

To make that happen the first district game will most likely be Father's Day 6/18 or sooner. The district wants all paperwork completed by 6/8. Our last regular season game was Scheduled for 6/7 and will most likely go past that because of all the rain outs.

#10 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:15 AM

Why don't DAs follow the LL Tournament Calendar?
There is no District Schedule that ends on July 6.

LLSB Districts:
Eastern Region starts on 6/18 and must finish by July 1
Central/West start on June 24 and must finish Sectionals by July 18 (leaving a week for Sectionals would mean Districts should be finished by July 10)
Southeast/Southwest start on June 26 and must finish by July 13

Personally I think it would make more sense for either the Southeast or Southwest to start first.
That would give the Northeast an extra week before they start.

#11 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:16 PM

Yeah I never understood why they make us start sooner than the southern teams.
We all have regular seasons finishing up the second week of June (some third week), just doesn't make sense.
Often we only get a week or so of practice in while other regions get almost a month of practice in.

#12 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:57 PM

If I were a DA in the northeast I would get as many DAs as possible to send letters to Williamsport asking to start the regional tournaments later starting in 2018 because of your short season.
I would state it's "not fair" to have to your regular season start late and your tournaments start early when warm weather regions get to start their regular season early and their tournaments start late.
You struggle to get in 12 games while warm weather areas easily play 20 or more, and, as you stated, your Tournament Teams get a lot less time to practice.

Good Luck.
  • Plesh likes this

#13 Guest_Roger Snyder_*

Guest_Roger Snyder_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:04 PM

Our regular season ends 6/16. (the younger teams go to 6/25).

We schedule enough games so that there usually isn't a problem with rainouts. (we stopped making up rainouts for the most part a few years ago)

Then playoffs.

It somehow works, but an extra week would be nice.

#14 B_Hanlon

B_Hanlon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 623 posts
  • LocationPomfret Center, CT

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:17 PM

It's even worse in the Senior Division. Regionals start July 21st and our SLBB and SLSB seasons start next weekend. It will be a real chore to get the 12 game season in, looks like waivers are going to be required. 

We have to wait until the high schools release the kids and that happens around the 23rd, I know many feel that Little League is for the recreational player, however, we have loads of kids playing on high school JV and Freshman teams that see little field time and really enjoy the LL season.

#15 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:42 PM

Our Senior leagues play one game during the week (on house or Interleague with an adjacent league) and double-header on Saturdays.
Only takes 4 weeks to get in 12 games.

#16 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:50 PM

So, for example, our league's regular season ended last Saturday, so we can't announce or start practicing our All Star Teams until June 1.

Up north, a league might run their regular season through June 10th or maybe even the 17th.
They cannot announce their teams/start practice until their regular season is over.
Probably doesn't leave much practice time prior to The Tournament.

I think this is incorrect.
All the book says is June 1.

#17 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 03:57 PM

You can't announce your team until verifying eligibility which is based on playing in 60% of your team's games played prior to the start of the Tournament.

On the Affidavit it asks for the number of games played prior to the start of the Tournament by the team and the player.
How can you fill in that information if you are still playing games?
Without it the DA can't sign off.

June 1 is the earliest you can start, so, for example, our season is over already but we can't announce/start practices until June 1.

#18 Jeremy

Jeremy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:58 PM

If everyone is at 90% + on the 1st and there is still two games left in the season you know it mathematically impossible for players to drop under 60%.....My district is asking for binders before our season is even over...they won't be getting binders on time.

#19 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:45 AM

I remember we had this exact discussion last year. You can have tryouts/ practice starting on June 1st, but all your kids have to be eligible by affidavit day. I guess you can have tryouts and be ready to select a team, but then a kid misses the last 2 games and all of a sudden loses their eligibility. Would be rare, but it could happen.

#20 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:02 AM

You can't announce your team until verifying eligibility which is based on playing in 60% of your team's games played prior to the start of the Tournament.

On the Affidavit it asks for the number of games played prior to the start of the Tournament by the team and the player.
How can you fill in that information if you are still playing games?
Without it the DA can't sign off.

June 1 is the earliest you can start, so, for example, our season is over already but we can't announce/start practices until June 1.

What Jeremy said. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users