parent's letter to player agent regarding coach

12 replies to this topic

#1 Forthekids

Forthekids

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:10 AM

Does anyone know if there is a rule or anything in the rule book/operating manual regarding a parent not wanting their child to play for a specific coach? I've looked thru both and can't find anything. Thanks.

#2 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,001 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:24 AM

A parent can "request" that their child not be on the team of a specific manager or coach.
That said, it's a "request" it doesn't mean it has to be honored.

If it's tee-ball or minors there shouldn't be much of a problem.
If it's majors or above it might be harder to honor especially if there are only a few teams and if the child is a returning player.

It's up to the BOD on how it should be handled.

#3 Forthekids

Forthekids

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:36 AM

It is majors. It is a four team league. Here is the tricky part. Divorced parents wrote letters on two different coaches. The child in question has played for one of the coaches for years in little league and travel ball in the summer. I was just looking for something from little league to back up a ruling by the BOD. 

#4 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:30 AM

If it's majors and your league uses Plan A (returning players remain on the same team) that could make it more difficult.
If the player is a good player you are asking a manager to hurt his team by releasing the player, maybe he'd rather trade the player.

So, you have 4 teams and the parents are requesting the child not be on 2 of them, problem is, what if the other two managers don't want the kid.

It's up to the manager, the Player Agent and the Board, sorry but LL isn't going to tell your local league what to do.
The BOD is elected to run/manage the league, that's why the get the big bucks !!! ;o)

As I said originally, it's a "request" whether it gets honored is up to the manager, Player Agent and BOD.

#5 B_Hanlon

B_Hanlon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 623 posts
  • LocationPomfret Center, CT

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:44 AM

Beware of those who are trying to get their child on specific team by bad mouthing others. No idea on this one but they are already trying to increase the odds.

#6 kylejt

kylejt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:00 PM

I'll take it a step further, and say that you won't have a "legal" leg to stand on by not allowing a manager to draft whoever they want.

We've had parents make these sort of threats all time. It's really up to the BoD on whether they want to relate those wishes to the manager, or not. But if you do, just understand you might end up with a large laundry list for next season draft, once word gets out that parents can block there kids like this.

"We appreciate your concern, and thank you for your opinions on this matter. But, per Little League rules, we cannot block managers from selecting certain players, as that would create an unbalance of talent in the league. "

Be sure to attach a volunteer application with the response.

If they threaten to leave, if selected by a certain manager, inform them that this is their option, and their son will be missed.

#7 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:23 AM

You have to tell the managers, it's then up to them what they do.

Jimmy's parent says Jimmy won't play for Mr. Smith.
You don't tell Mr. Smith about it and Mr. Smith drafts Jimmy as his first pick.
So, when Jimmy quits and Mr. Smith finds out why, what happens!

Tell Mr. Smith his parents don't want Jimmy playing for you.
That way, if Mr. Smith drafts Jimmy and he quits at least Mr. Smtih knew the risk before he drafted jimmy.

As I said, requests are requests and the managers should be told about them.
After that, it's up to the managers.

#8 stan.staziak

stan.staziak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Locationsterling, va

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:32 PM

I know in our local LL when I was managing, that you get the draft list and there is a comment colum.

In that comment column, there are requests such as

Can't play/practice on Thu due to *insert event*

Would like that he play with *insert name* because *Insert reason*

*insert name* is his step brother

Needs a coach with *insert medical reason* experience, kid has heart problems is the one I do recall

and of course

Little Jimmy won't play for *insert coach(es)*

Where it gets tricky is the Little Jimmy - Won't play for Coach Jones and if he is on that team, will not play in the league this year, Would rather not play for coach Jones, Would like to play for Coach Johnson.

Now the PA when I was managing would also state in the draft room, these specific coaching requests.  She never said, you can't pick them but that was the understanding.  No one ever did. I mean, really, I don't want a problem kid right off the bat. These kids were not in my experience top 3 round picks anyway.  If they were, I would have selected and traded or traded my draft order slot if it was a top notch kid.  

Our league has alternatives so if you do put a kid on a team where he won't play for the coach, you have wasted a draft pick and will get stuck with a filler kid after the draft.  Now if you are a league with two teams, that would be a tough problem. Fortunately we had six or more teams back then.

#9 dropabunt

dropabunt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:00 PM

Here's a question.  If the parent requests a certain manager not draft his/her kid, does the PA tell the manager before the draft or at the draft only if the kid is drafted by that manager.

For example,  Coach Jones is up and drafts little Jimmy and the PA calls a time out and let's coach Jones know that Little Jimmy requested not to be picked by coach Jones.  Then it's up to Coach whether to keep Jimmy or draft another.

#10 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:39 AM

My opinion, as I stated above, is that ALL Parent Requests be given to ALL of the Managers.
After that, it's up to the manager(s) who they draft or don't.

#11 Forthekids

Forthekids

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:23 AM

Just to follow up on this. Our draft went off without a hitch, for the most part. We ended having enough kids sign up to add a fifth team. The player in question got picked up in the first round before either of the unwanted coaches had a chance at him. Another question arose from this situation. If this kid makes all stars, which is very probable, what happens when one of the two coaches end up as the all star coach? This question was brought up Saturday, I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

#12 kylejt

kylejt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:59 AM

Then it's up to the kid, and his parents. At some point they have to make a choice, and not force the league to bow to their wishes. All Star play is not a right. Don't like the manager, coach, team Mom, uniform color, etc? Vacation time just starts a little earlier for you

• jkllfan likes this

#13 stan.staziak

stan.staziak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Locationsterling, va

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:29 AM

What Kyle said, at some point (and why not all stars), the kid has to start to deal with it or get out.  too bad for the kid at that point

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users