14 replies to this topic

#1 Packerbacker

Packerbacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 04:13 AM

RIM and Make the Right Call disagree on this aspect of 5.02 -- when PU believes all action has ceased, proceeds to brush off home plate without explicitly declaring "Time," and a play then takes place behind the unaware PU.  RIM says "Time" was implied and undo the action, while Make the Right Call says this is incorrect and there is no such thing as an implied time out. Both agree that the PU should in practice announce "Time" and PU should not rely on the concept of "Implied Time."

#2 Mike_Hirschman

Mike_Hirschman

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:33 PM

More than likely it was missed in Make the Right Call. Tom Rawlings just re-worked the RIM back into original form this year. I would venture to guess it got changed in the RIM and missed the other publication. 

#3 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:14 PM

Make the Right Call should be the correct interpretation.
How hard is it to call time for deity's sake?
  • rsnyder6 likes this

#4 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,863 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:51 PM

Speaking of "implied" Time Out...

Yesterday, R1 and R2, two outs.
Pitch to batter called a Ball.
Batter heads to first, R1 and R2 head to second and third.
All reach their bases.
Ump yells to runner on first that it was Ball 3 and he needs to come back to the plate.
He heads back to home and the other runners also head back to their original bases.
Pitcher runs over and tags runner heading back to second, out #3?

Ump rules that when he called the runner back to the plate that meant Time was called even though he didn't call it.
He puts the runners back on second and third.
Batter strikes out, inning over.

#5 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:55 PM

Speaking of "implied" Time Out...

Yesterday, R1 and R2, two outs.
Pitch to batter called a Ball.
Batter heads to first, R1 and R2 head to second and third.
All reach their bases.
Ump yells to runner on first that it was Ball 3 and he needs to come back to the plate.
He heads back to home and the other runners also head back to their original bases.
Pitcher runs over and tags runner heading back to second, out #3?

Ump rules that when he called the runner back to the plate that meant Time was called even though he didn't call it.
He puts the runners back on second and third.
Batter strikes out, inning over.

Need better umpire training.

#6 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:12 PM

Yup, and smarter managers !!!

#7 Guest_Neil_*

Guest_Neil_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:11 PM

Is it an implied time out when the batter looks to third base coach for signs before getting set for next pitch?
I've instructed my players (Majors Little League) to take one foot out to look for sign and get back to set for pitch.
We haven't adopted the batters box rule for local play but figured would be good to teach anyways.
Had pitcher quick pitch to batter who hadn't set for pitch and ump said one foot was in the box so batter needs to ask for time next time.
I don't do signs every pitch but try to get players to look my way in between pitches.

#8 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:04 PM

No such thing as an implied time out.

5.10 says "The umpire SHALL call time when:  . . "

Shall means shall. 

#9 Guest_Neil_*

Guest_Neil_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:38 PM

So either call time when taking one foot out to receive signs or step out completely to avoid being pitched to?
I'm not a big fan of having every kid ask for time between pitches but forced to for safety reasons when pitcher is delivering this quick.
Most pitchers do not work this quickly and most wait for batter to be ready so not huge issue, just looking for best way to explain to my players when this happens.

#10 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 09 May 2017 - 03:14 PM

So either call time when taking one foot out to receive signs or step out completely to avoid being pitched to?
I'm not a big fan of having every kid ask for time between pitches but forced to for safety reasons when pitcher is delivering this quick.
Most pitchers do not work this quickly and most wait for batter to be ready so not huge issue, just looking for best way to explain to my players when this happens.

The player cannot call time. Only an umpire can call time. The player can only ask.

"Everybody" does signs.  They won't pitch when your batter is looking because they don't want you pitching when their batter is looking.

AND

It is an illegal pitch (quick pitch) if the pitcher pitches when the batter is not reasonably set in the batter's box.  The umpires are instructed by rule to not allow one.

• Plesh likes this

#11 Guest_Neil_*

Guest_Neil_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2017 - 03:50 PM

This pitcher was quick pitching, actually was called on it at one at bat, both feet were in box on that pitch but batter was digging in.
When he quick pitched with one foot in box he was not called on it.
The ump informed me that the hitter is eligible to be pitched to with one foot in the box.
Not sure why he allowed that pitch, batter was not even close to ready and I thought it was a safety concern.
Thanks for your comments, it's what I thought to be the case.

#12 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:51 PM

This pitcher was quick pitching, actually was called on it at one at bat, both feet were in box on that pitch but batter was digging in.
When he quick pitched with one foot in box he was not called on it.
The ump informed me that the hitter is eligible to be pitched to with one foot in the box.
Not sure why he allowed that pitch, batter was not even close to ready and I thought it was a safety concern.
Thanks for your comments, it's what I thought to be the case.

The umpire needs to read the rule book.

8.05 – An illegal pitch (Little League and Below baseball); (A balk in Intermediate (50/70) Division/Junior/Senior/Big League baseball) when a runner or runners are on base is when -

e) the pitcher makes a quick pitch; Umpires will judge a quick pitch as one delivered before the batter is reasonably set in the batter’s box.

#13 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:04 PM

I can hear the ump now, there was no one on base so 8.05 doesn't apply !!!

The ump is incorrect, he should not allow a pitcher to throw a pitch unless the batter is in the box ready to hit.

#14 richives

richives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationOwego, NY

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:14 PM

I can hear the ump now, there was no one on base so 8.05 doesn't apply !!!

The ump is incorrect, he should not allow a pitcher to throw a pitch unless the batter is in the box ready to hit.

But 2.00 does.

#15 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:05 PM

Rich: I agree but you quoted 8.05 which does not apply with no runners on base.

Common sense would say a quick pitch with no men on would be the same as a quick pitch with men on.
That said, common sense and some LL umpires don't often co-exist !!! ;)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users