Photo

low numbers question - what would you do?

softball divisions

10 replies to this topic

#1 coach andy

coach andy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:41 PM

low signups this year in our league for softball.  all in person signups are over, online goes until the 17th.

minors - 16

majors - 14

juniors - 11 (obviously just one team, no more late signups after tryouts, just in case we need to move a couple of 12s to juniors (only if they agree) to get more manageable teams in majors)

obvioulsly first option is to pray for 8-10 signups in both minors and majors age brackets.  assuming that does not happen (very unlikely, likelihood is 3-4 more in each division, which actually makes things worse)

Options I see.

1- one minors, one majors - pros, none really, except maybe less squabbling about practice slots, possibly one or two games not having to be rescheduled;  cons, hard to manage practices, less PT for most if not all girls.  Only viable if no more girls sign up, so probably not realistic.

2-two majors, two minors, with a host of girls 9-11 double rostered/  pros, double rostered girls get to play a lot of softball;  cons, scheduling nightmares, basically, minors and majors cannot play same nights.  not certain if we can get enough girls to do this, as many in majors play travel as well.

3-two minors, one major, keep down all 11s who played minors last year (11s who played major last year cannot be kept down).  without seeing full registration info, hard to say, but this probably puts us at like 18 and 12, still rough for minors, and other local leagues we interleague with will not like this.

4-one minor, two majors, move all 10s up to majors (our minors in softball end up being mostly 8s and 9s anyway, with some 7s, and a one or two 10s per team), maybe even a few 9s (likely to be my daughter).  pros, numbers would work most likely, probably end up with like minors team of 12, two majors teams of 11 each;  cons, 9s and 10s probably really not ready for the pitching they will face in majors.

any other options I am not seeing?

#2 coach andy

coach andy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:42 PM

forgot, we can also look to do combined play with another league close by (actually all kids from these two leagues go to same MS/HS).  this might be our best option.

#3 Lou Barbieri

Lou Barbieri

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,052 posts
  • LocationThe Villages, Florida

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:54 PM

Tell every girl that registered to ask all of her friends if they registered or not.

If they haven't, have them try to convince their friends to register.

You obviously need more players.

Obviously you are going to have to Inter-League with neighboring leagues.

Problem with #2, you can't have players dual roster in minors and majors.  They can only dual roster in majors and above.

Don't just bring girls up to majors to fill out rosters to get two teams.

I would rather see your top 12 players in majors (1 team) and the rest in minors (2 teams) - although many might disagree.

Now, if you are lucky enough to get a lot more girls to register that could easily change everything.

GOOD LUCK

#4 coach andy

coach andy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:12 PM

problem with 1 major / 2 minors teams is parents/kids not wanting to be in minors.  

that is probably what I am going to push for though, as far as we can (if they played majors last year, they have to be majors this year).

thanks, gonna push my daughter to recruit more.

#5 B_Hanlon

B_Hanlon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 623 posts
  • LocationPomfret Center, CT

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:27 PM

When does your season start?

#6 Guest_Coach_andy_*

Guest_Coach_andy_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:17 PM

Tryouts and drafts are Feb 19th, practices can start right away at local schools, complex normally opens for practice mid march, OD is early april

#7 coach andy

coach andy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:39 PM

update, up to 19 in minors, and 13 in majors, so it is looking like 2 and 1 team.  will also push for any majors girls who played minors last year to potentially be placed in minors again, 22 and 11 would be better for everyone.  I know of at least two 11 year olds who skill wise would still fit in minors ( a little on the big size though maybe).

still have my 9 YO recruiting

#8 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:30 PM

11 kids for one team is thin. It's not like you can get pool players. I'd like 12 or 13, especially since they all don't show up to every game.

#9 B_Hanlon

B_Hanlon

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 623 posts
  • LocationPomfret Center, CT

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:38 PM

I'm from CT and when I was a league president I found that it was extremely difficult to get people thinking baseball in February. We ended up altering our time line closing registrations and holding tryouts at the last possible moment. As a small league we were also in a position to track kids individually so we had a decent idea of who might come knocking on the door once the snow melted. We also planned on 10 kids per team when we were aligning divisions. I think only one year we had to use pool players.   

#10 Plesh

Plesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:50 PM

10 kids on a team and only need pool players once? Wow. 

#11 coach andy

coach andy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:56 PM

follow up, we now have 28 in minors softball, thinking is we will do 3 teams (9,9,10), with a lot of pool play (we normally play 10 in the field in minors softball).  This is vs 2 teams of 14.  Opinons?  decision is still not finalized, but pretty much has to be by tomorrow, uniform sheets are due in to equipment manager tomorrow night, so he can order jerseys.

majors is pretty much set, 21 players, two teams.

juniors is closed at 13 girls, we have a waiting list, but cannot find a second coach.  hate to close it, as we have a waiting list, but not really fair I think to girls who signed up early/ on time to have more than that.  Also, first time softball coach (has coached other youth sports), so want to try to keep his stress levels to a minimum, and managing 14+ is a real headache (personal experience, I had a coach pitch team with 16 my first year).

no senior girls registered (they pretty much at that age play only travel and HS).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users